xix. tears of gold

CHAPTER NINETEEN :TEARS OF GOLD

( mark of athena )

✲*'。

"YOUR WASTING AWAY TO nothing," Nico di Angelo commented under his breath as he harshly jammed his fingers into his adoptive sisters ribs.

Hissing loudly, Ezra immediately lashed out swiping a punch towards her brothers general direction which he narrowly dodged.  Humming into a placating tone, Nico slumped down beside his sister, allowing her to drop her head onto his shoulder.

"Grief I would assume is not a good look on me." Ezra commented in a depreciating tone, a wry smirk playing on her face.

Grief had completely taken ahold of their lives; reshaped the way they functioned, the way breathed. A suffocating gap was the centre of their world, the person they so dearly loved ripped away from them. Death was cruel, did not discriminate in his victims. When the lord of the dead declared his victim, the fates would cut their thread.

And so his daughter and sister returned to him once more to begin their new journey, leaving behind their loved ones. And so the left behind must carry on, find a way to cope with the body crumbling grief.

"Does it ever get easier?" Ezra murmured quietly, white hues staring ahead lifelessly.  "Does the guilt ease any bit?"

"No." Nico declared simply, refusing to lie. "Does the anger ever ease?"

Gazing in his general direction, Ezra's features morphed into one of brief surprise as she contemplated her answer.

"I think... I think the anger I hold is different to yours." She answered truthfully after a brief pause. "I'm still coming to terms with this whole new parentage shit ... I don't know even know where to start with your anger."

"It's more than that." Nico half hissed under his breath, his rising anger only soothing as Ezra gently encircled her hand in his, squeezing it softly. "I think you get that."

"Don't," Ezra whispered in a broken tone, her eyes fluttering closed momentarily. "I don't care, don't want to hear about their relationship."

But of course the little bastard pressed on. "He was looking for you; they both were, begged me to find 'his spitfire'."

"Well it's a pity you didn't find her!" Ezra declared, the dark grim looking settling on facial features once more.

"You're the one he likes; they both like you. You've never been ashamed of who you are.  Why did you run away from them?" Nico continued to press.

"Because I'm not a fool Nico!" Ezra snarled, pushing herself away from her brother, her body tense and rigid. "I know exactly how you feel about him! I'm not going to do that to you!"