Chapter 51: Smug & Cocky

Craig's POV:

"Every season that passes, is another year I miss her more."

×××

"Wouldn't you prefer if the child had your last name instead of mine-"

"I would be damn if I gave my baby the last name of my father. And I have no intention of giving my baby the last name of what once belonged to my mother either..."

Her voice trembled a bit as I took her words seriously, I then decided to be straightforward with her.

"You make it sound as if you didn't like your mother."

I said to her as I wrapped my arms around her waist, pulling her closer to me.

"I loved my mother...more than anything in this world. But the unfortunate part was that...she never loved me. It wasn't her fault though...it wasn't anyone's fault. She was just unable to love anything anymore, and her mental state took a dive, which drove her into a deep depression. And it resulted in her taking her own life, as painful as it is to talk about it. I never wanted to share it with anyone, because I didn't want people to feel sorry for me. A little girl... finding her dead mother bleeding out. I just wanted to hug her, at least once...I wanted her to love me. But she couldn't-"

"Charlotte!"

Calling out her name, I found it unbearable to listen to her pain so I desperately embraced her as she started to sob in agony! I knew this story all too well, and yet... hearing Charlotte speak on it for the first time made my heart ache so much. But I'm glad...that she was finally able to open up to me about her mother. This is the first step for her to get closer to me, emotionally and mentally. I've made love to her several times already in the last week, but it still wasn't enough. I was unsatisfied because I wanted to reach deeper into her heart. And now... she's beginning to let me in, bit by bit.

"Why wasn't I enough for her?! Why did she die?! Why couldn't I do anything to help her back then!? I miss her! I miss her so much! Why did she have to leave me all alone-"

"Charlotte, calm down. You're not alone... you'll never be alone. I'll make sure you never feel that way again. Look at me...I will always be here for you. Your mother...I want to believe that she tried her best to be there for you. Even though I never met her... always remember...that you were her greatest gift in this world. And I'm happy...I'm so happy that I was able to meet you. Because of you...you were able to bring back the meaning of life to me. And I want to be able to give that to you in return...that you could find happiness in living a life so beautiful and precious. But I understand...why you would always be hurt by your mother's actions. Charlotte, I will give the baby my last name. But that's only if... you're willing to take my last name as well. When the time is right...will you let me make that happen?"

As I wiped her tears away, I had her look at me. But she couldn't stop crying, but her tears which were once filled with such sorrow were now replaced with tears of joy as she soon smiled at my proposal. And although she didn't give me a direct answer, she instead gave me a tender kiss. If only she knew how fast my heart was beating, even though I wasn't expecting to say such a thing. There's no denying how much she means to me, I fell for this girl...and all I want is to have a happy future with her. I want to heal the wounds that still hurt her, no matter what it takes. I won't let her disappear from my life.

"I want...you to tell me...what kind of future you would want from me? Please...tell me what kind of wife I would be...and what hobbies, sports, and academic things would you teach my baby? What kind of life... would I have lived?"

Her sniffles clouded her questions, but I was able to pick up what she was asking. But all I could do was smile at her as she kept her arms wrapped around my back.