Chapter 4: The Calm Before the Storm

Izuku and Katsuki continued to see each other and became good friends, although Katsuki's rude attitude sometimes begged to differ. True to his word, Izuku watched hero media on his tv for the first time in his life with Katsuki when his grounding was over. He did have to mentally prepare to do so before Katsuki arrived at his house, but he pulled through and actually started to enjoy himself and eventually forgot about his fear. The first time Izuku saw a clip of all might, he then and there understood Katsuki's outrage at him not knowing about him. All might truly was like no other; his smile, his laugh, his strength, he was absolutely the coolest. Izuku instantly became a fanboy and started collecting all of the allmight merchandise he could get his little hands on, brightening up his once dreary room. His allmight obsession eventually transformed into an obsession with everything hero related, in a world where he felt afraid of nearly everything, they made him think that he didn't need to be so scared. The two boys continued this ritual throughout their childhood, they'd meet up every so often to watch the newest hero's debuts and freshest allmight clips. At some point, Katsuki realized that while they would watch the television, Izuku would often scribble quickly in a notebook while muttering to himself quietly.

''Hey! Izuku, what the fuck are you doing with that notebook?''

''Huh? Oh, well I've decided something, Kachann.'' Izuku had started calling his friend by this nickname, Katsuki on the other hand had not been able to come up with one to call Izuku he liked enough to stick with.

''Huh, so you finally got the balls to take action on something? Ok, what is it?''

Izuku took a breath in then out and continued: ''I've decided, Kachann, that I want to be a hero! If I'm gonna be a hero, I thought it'd be smart to start analyzing quirks now so it'll be easier for me later on''

Katsuki chuckled

''About time you got around to it! You've got to be the only damn one in our grade that didn't want to be a hero up until now. Well, you better watch yourself because I'M gonna be the next number one hero!''

''oh, uh, well that won't be a problem, I want to be a support hero.''

Katsuki froze in place, his face cartoonishly stricken white in bewilderment. After a moment, he ran up to Izuku, grabbed his collar, and then started shaking him.

''WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN SUPPORT HERO?!''

Izuku, starting to get dizzy, sputtered out: ''W-WELL I'D BE NO GOOD IN A FIGHT SO I THOUGHT THAT I'D BE MORE USEFUL AS A SUPPORT HERO!''

Katsuki let go of Izuku, who landed on his butt, and continued to yell at him

''NO GOOD IN A FIGHT? YOU'RE QUIRK'S MOST USEFUL IN A FIGHT YOU DIPSHIT!''

Izuku scooted away from his friend and spoke in a softer tone while looking away, trying to calm the situation down.

''W-well yeah, but I don't have the confidence to fight as allmight does. I'm not as scared as I used to be since you introduced me to heroes but I haven't got half the courage I need to actually save people. I'd be more useful helping the heroes that do the saving.''

Katsuki sighed in frustration, walked up to Izuku, and held out his hand so he could grab it and get pulled up. After getting him up, Katsuki grabbed Izuku's shoulder and looked directly into the lens of his sunglasses, making the greenette in question shrink back in fear.

''Listen here, Izuku! People like you and me can't squander our quirks being fucking support heroes. Now, what I'm about to tell you, I'll only ever tell you once, if you ever tell anybody I told you what I'm about to say, I'll deny it, got it?!''