March

Suggested listening: Sean Householder - The Warrior Song

Two hours passed quickly at the base. Jin changed his attire, wore his uniform, and waited silently for Sergeant Sugiyama's arrival. The soldiers were now focusing on the mission to come and stopped caring about him, his past and the Devil gene. All for the best. He sat down in a corner, arms long over his knees, and closed his eyes, head tilted to the wall. He was both relaxing and concentrating.

-You a loner, Kazama?

-Pretty much. I like to ponder.

-Do it too much, your head might explode.

-You sound just like my husband, Uchida.

The soldier laughed. -Then you've got a good one. With a sense of humor. Consider yuourself lucky.

-Trust me, I do.

-Why so serious, Jin? I'm trying to joke around and you keep on stopping my attempts.

-We're going to leave to break into North Korea in less than twenty minutes, I don't think there is much to joke about.

-It's especially because of that that I do. You take this... job too seriously, and you'll never get out of it alive. You'll go crazy, guaranteed.

-You don't know me, so, don't assume stuff about me.

-I was talking in general, geez, calm down. Listen, I'm trying to be friendly and welcoming with you, something I can't say about most of my friends here, give me a hand, don't be an ass.

-I didn't ask you to. But thanks. And you're right, I'm being defensive. I don't feel comfortable around here, yet. Maybe I never will. My husband is military, he was Spec Ops, too. I'm not, and I'm not sure I'm cut for this life. But I have to do it for a while, so be it.

-What is his name? Did he serve here?

-No, no. He's South Korean, he was Sergeant in his country. Didn't like it much, either. His name is Hwoarang.

-I must have seen him in the King of Iron Fist Tournament, because the name rings a bell. Well, what a power couple. He a Devil too?

-In a way. But no, he is human.

-I can't believe my ears! A joke! Well done, we're doing real progress here.- he pat his hand on Jin's shoulder, sitting beside him.

-How much do you think it will take to nail this mission?

-Beats me. Can be days, can be weeks.

-I was just getting used to be home again...

-Don't worry, you will hug your family again sooner than later. At least you have someone waiting for you.

-Don't you?

-No partner, and my parents shunned me long ago. They practically banished me from the family. So, yeah... no one.

-I'm sorry to hear that, Haruo.

-Don't be. It's a price I paid to be myself. At least I know I am myself. No compromise.

-Good. Know where you stand. I wish it didn't cost you your family, though.

-I'm going to tell you something I don't want the other guys to know about.

-Do I look like someone who talks too much?

Haruo laughed. -Good point. Well, it all happened because I came out... as gay. My parents are very traditional people, they didn't accept an inch of it.