22

"What?" Alex exclaimed.

"They're picking me up," Driana confirmed.

School time had ended a while ago, and the pair were inside the girl's house. Driana was making dinner early in case she would come home late. Alex sat at the dining table, processing the girl's words while eating a bag of chips.

"Who's picking you up?"

"Jasper," Driana answered.

Alex began laughing, clutching his stomach before wiping off a fake tear. "You're growing up so fast."

"I'm holding a knife!"

The boy chuckled, snacking on the chips. "Does your mom know?"

"Well," Driana sighed. "I lied to her."

"Wait," Alex placed the chips down. "What'd you say?'

"I said I had a project to do with a partner," Driana cringed. "That's the only way she could allow me."

"Ha!" Alex placed the chips back in the cabinet. "Does Max know?'

"No," The girl replied quickly. "Don't tell him yet. Not even Grace!"

"Secret's safe with me, sister." Alex glanced at the clock on the wall before grabbing his things. "My mom's shift is ending. Tell me the details when you can!"

"I will, bye Alex!" Driana called out after him.

"Stay safe! Don't do things I won't do," Alex yelled as he left the house.

An hour later, a motorcycle arrived in front of Driana's house. The girl answered the knocking on the door, revealing Jasper wearing a dark-blue rider jacket. He smiled at her, waving with a helmet in his hand.

"I didn't know vampires need helmets," Driana teased. "I thought you were invincible."

"I need to look human, at least," Jasper smirked. "Your kind and their safety rules." He pointed at her clothes. "You should wear a warmer jacket since we're riding my motor. The wind will bite at your skin."

"Oh," Driana looked at her outfit. "You can come inside. Just wait a moment!" The girl rushed into her room to find a better jacket.

Jasper chuckled, obeying her words and closing the door after himself. Looking around, a picture in the hall caught his eye. It was Driana when she was younger. The photo took place at a restaurant. The girl was smiling, her round cheeks and hands covered in icing and cake. The boy smiled, realizing that Driana's cheeks had stayed the same since then.

"That was my father's birthday," Driana spoke. "I faintly remember that I impatiently waited for the cake and dove right in after it arrived. The worst part was the workers hadn't got the chance to sing, and my father never blew his candle."

Jasper began laughing. He found her adorable. Driana smiled and rolled her eyes. "I was four that time." She pointed to her jacket. "Is this more suitable?"

"Yes, better. Come on," Jasper led her outside. Starting the motor, he chuckled at the short girl's unsure expression. "Scared?"

"No," Driana said, getting on and wearing the extra helmet. "I'm only worried about flying off."

Jasper hesitated but grabbed Driana's warm hands, placing them around his waist. "Don't let go."

"Okay," Driana gulped.

The girl felt her face flush at the contact, tightening the grip on her hands. Jasper smirked when he heard her heartbeat quicken. The distance to the Cullen's house didn't seem far from hers as they shared the same river. The trees and road blurred green and gray as they flew by them. The blond slowed down on a curve, revealing a large, three-story house. He parked inside a garage that had other cars.

"Beautiful," Driana commented, staring at a red BMW.

"It's Rosalie's," Jasper told her.

"I'd expected her to be interested in the 3 Series."

Jasper gazed at her with interest. "Car enthusiast?"

Driana shook her head. "No, just an older brother."

Jasper offered to take Driana's jacket and hung it beside his by the tool closet. He led the girl inside the spacious living room. The girl smiled at the open view of trees and lawn that stretched to the river. By the entrance door, there was a grand piano.

"That belongs to Edward," Jasper said. The boy sighed. "Who's not even here."

"Being musically inclined fits in with his brooding personality," Driana joked.

"You got that right," Emmett spoke as he bounded down the staircase. "Welcome to our casa!" He boomed with open arms.

"Emmett," Rosalie scolded. "Not so loud." She turned to Driana, smiling gently.

"You're here!" Alice squeaked, running fast and hugging the girl in response.

Rosalie, Emmett, and Jasper stiffened at Alice's actions. However, Driana didn't mind despite being shocked, wrapped her arms around the girl with a smile. "Indeed I am."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," An alluring voice said. Alice pulled away to reveal an attractive blond young man. He smiled at Driana with kind and assuring facial features. "I'm Dr. Carlisle Cullen, their adoptive father," He greeted, shaking hands with Driana. "This is my wife, Esme."

A small, caramel-haired woman wearing a smile that made one feel at home was standing by his side. She clasped her hands around Driana's, making her feel safe. "Finally, it's nice to meet you, my dear. I've heard interesting things about you."

"Good things, I hope," Driana humored. "You have a lovely home. It's well-balanced, a pleasure to look at."

"Thank you so much," Esme smiled.

"Please, come join us," Carlisle said, gesturing toward the dining room.

Driana followed Carlisle and Esme, with Jasper tagging along behind her. The room had a mahogany table in the middle, connecting to a cream-white kitchen. The walls had art pieces hanging on one side of the wall. Jasper pulled a chair for Driana, and the girl sat down quietly.

"We'd like to thank you for not sharing our secret," Carlisle started, holding hands with Esme.

"It's an important secret that has kept your lives undercover," Driana said. "I'm not one to expose. Especially if one has tried hard to keep peace in their family."

"We appreciate that," Esme assured her.

"Am I the only one aware?" Driana asked.

Carlisle and Esme glanced at each other before the patriarch spoke. "The person Edward has taken an interest in is aware of our kind."

"Bella Swan," Driana said confidently. "I'm not surprised."