32

A long drive on the off-road tracks droned on forever. Jasper absorbed the calm emotions that flowed through Driana's mind. She would glance at Jasper with a smile, then continue feeling at peace as she stared at the trees.

Edward, who had no luck hearing Bella's mind, tuned in to Jasper and Driana's thoughts. He'd grip the steering wheel as he felt sympathy for Driana. Although, he held his tongue as it wasn't his story to tell.

"We'll have to walk from here," Jasper announced as Edward parked the car near the trail's end.

"You know what?" Bella sheepishly spoke. "I'll just wait here."

"Sorry, Bella, we have to go on foot," Edward apologized.

The four got out of the vehicle. Bella's face began to turn a pale shade. Jasper eased her nerves, helping the girl's anxiousness. Driana encouraged Bella, reminding her that Edward would keep her safe.

"Driana and I will meet you there," Jasper told them, interlocking pinkies with Driana.

Edward nodded in response. Jasper guided Driana through the forest packed with firs. Once again, the blond drowned himself in the girl's serene mood. However, it didn't help that a question itched in Jasper's head.

"I tend to forget you guys have abilities," Driana spoke, staring ahead. "I know Edward had heard my thoughts. I bet you felt his sudden twist of emotions."

"Correct," Jasper answered.

The girl sighed. "It's a long walk. I can fill you in."

"Are you sure?" Jasper furrowed his brows in concern.

"Yes." Driana smiled in assurance. "My father was still around when I was about five or six. My mom and father argued in the car. The shouting made me confused and slightly scared. I remember staring at the door handle as I couldn't see out the window." The girl chuckled grimly. "Last thing that happened was my father turned around, yelling my name. My panic rose as I saw oncoming headlights crashing into our vehicle. The police came, and a kind officer soothed me by facing me toward the forest and telling me that nature helps calm us down. I fell asleep in their arms under the night sky."

Jasper couldn't find words to comfort her. The emotions that came from her hit him hard. He was unable to imagine what Edward had seen. Although if he did, Jasper would struggle to contain his feelings. Driana turned to him and lightly laughed.

"Jasper, I'm fine," The girl pressed. She shrugged. "As for my father, I never knew if he was okay. He spent his time in the hospital, then he vanished. No one knew where he went. I've had people tell me they've seen him. Since I had no glimpse of him, I never believed them."

The blond ran a hand through his hair, respectfully not altering her emotions. He allowed her feelings to pile through. Jasper was able to feel herself turn numb toward the memories. Yet, he could sense parts of regret and bitterness she tried to hide.

"My mother blamed herself," Driana continued. "She believed it was her fault that he left because they argued. As for me, I blamed myself. I knew I was a small part of that argument. The fight that caused the crash."

"You," Jasper interrupted. "Shouldn't have to blame yourself. The young should not be the cause of an adult's problem. You were in the crossfire."

Driana softly chuckled. "Thanks, cheeseball."

They continued walking until a vast space of grass came into view. The family had begun bringing their baseball gear down. Carlisle carried the diamonds and started placing them on the ground. Alice enthusiastically waved them over.

"Hi!" The pixie-haired girl greeted.

"Hey," Driana returned, wearing the same smile.

"Want to see my moves?" Alice demonstrated some of her plans and positions.

"Already showing off?" Jasper scoffed. "Careful, they might not help you on the field."

Alice rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "Better watch yourself, Jazz. Any decision you'll make, and I'll see it coming." She tapped her temple twice.

Jasper snorted a laugh, which made Alice playfully fight him. Driana awkwardly smiled, going along with everything. Sparing her feelings, Edward and Bella finally arrived. Rosalie left Emmett and Esme's side, marching to where Driana stood.

"As soon as the game starts, I'll be fine," Rosalie grumbled. Driana smiled in response, causing Rosalie to look at Jasper and Alice. She frowned and guided Driana away. "How are you?"

"I'm doing great," The girl responded.

Rosalie smirked. "I'll one-up you by feeling confident that my team will win."

Alice and Jasper broke free from their scuffling. The pixie-haired girl skipped to where Bella, Edward, Esme, and Emmett were. The sound of thunder rumbled, breaking the silence. Alice bounded over, dragging Edward behind her.

"It's time!" She yelled.

She and Emmett raced toward where Carlisle was waiting. Driana gasped at their speed, still amazed at their ability. Jasper and Rosalie slightly winced at her reaction. Carlisle gave a pointed look at Emmett and Alice before slyly glancing at Edward.

"So," Edward spoke as he joined the three. "Ready for a game?"

"Don't forget," Rosalie smirked. "Jasper and Emmett are on my team."

Edward, Jasper, and Rosalie suddenly chuckled.

"Esme says we don't have good sportsmanship," Edward informed Driana, who looked lost.

"May the best team win," Driana playfully cheered.

"You and Bella are umpires," Jasper told the girl, placing a baseball cap on her head. He smirked at her, slightly brushing his hand against hers before heading to Carlisle.

"We only need one," Rosalie groaned before following her brother.

"Call 'em as you 'em, girls," Esme smiled.

Driana and Bella giggled at each other, preparing themselves for the game.