Chapter 2

Vegas Pov...

He felt hands he knew holding onto him and hauling him off the water he was drowning in... he was warm and wrapped and safe...

"Vegas... Brother... I am here.."

Macau !!

"You're safe brother, P'pete just went to change and he is coming back right away.."

He must have lost some time because the next thing he knew was Pete's arm around him...

He felt wrong, horribly wrong.. but Pete was here and there was someone else in bed with them.. the room was dimmed with curtains despite it being morning...

He tried to move and was met with a sharp pain in his chest again.. and arms bringing him back to a warm embrace...

"Vegas? You with me ?' whispered Pete softly...

"Pete.. ?"

"Yes Baby... I am here.. How are you feeling ?"

"Chest hurts.. and I feel off... Pete? What happened ??"

"You're ill, baby.. very ill... "

Vegas hummed...

"Cau ?"

"He is next to you, Love... He wouldn't have slept any other way.."

"I don't want to get you both ill..."

"It's not the flu, love... it's something a bit more complicated than that.. you cannot get us ill though.."

"Good..."

"good ?"

"hmm... I cannot make you ill... I don't want to hurt you.."

Pete hummed softly and his hand went up to Vegas' forehead and neck...

"It's almost time for medication... Do you think you can eat ?"

Vegas shrugged and regretted the movement later...

Pete moved him softly and helped him out of the bed and into the bathroom to wash up...

"You don't have to help me to the bathroom, Pete... I will ... manage..."

"Shh... c'mon.. "

Vegas huffed and leaned on Pete.. it felt good to lean on Pete.. there was a fragment of memory where Pete carried him yesterday... But that can wait for now... he has no idea whether this is real or not.. maybe his brain finally snapped and he was dreaming of Pete...

Perhaps none of this was real, Pete would not stay with a monster like his all of that time...

Pete helped him out of the room and sat him down at the kitchen table and moved to fix something to eat for him and Macau as well...

"Pete ?"

"Yes, Vegas ?"

"What's wrong with me ?"

Pete looked at him in puzzlement...

"The outside lining of your lungs is inflamed, Love... it's what's causing you the pain.."

"How?"

"Infection..."

Vegas hummed.. it all sounded very reasonable.. not dream-like.. but then he had seen more vivid dreams than this.. and felt pain more clearly in his dreams before... it wouldn't be the first time...

He didn't notice himself leaning on his folded hands on the table, till he felt Pete's hand surrounding his face and lifting it to meet his gaze...

"I am real... you are no longer dreaming.."