Finding Mr. Right

Saturday afternoon. It was so hot and humid that Jessie wanted to crawl out of her light cotton top. It was so dizzyingly feverish that her caramel macchiato frappucino was now reduced to a melted mess. The air-condition was humming but it can't seem to cool all the hot heads inside that Starbucks.

She wanted to go home that very moment but her prospective roommate has not showed up yet. Justin arranged for them to meet that day and every second that passed by, her confidence in this new person plunges significantly.

Late. Mental check, not a good sign. Jessie checked her watch once more. She had been waiting there for an hour already. They were supposed to meet at 3 pm. Jessie thought of giving her another ten minutes and if this person has not shown up, she would leave.

"Hello, you must be Jessie," said a soft voice from behind her.

Jessie immediately stood up and saw the teeniest girl she has ever seen. She could barely pass for five feet at that height. She was wearing these wedges to make her seem taller. However, despite being tiny, she was quite pretty and has a nice smile to go with her kind and gentle face. She looked so young, she could almost pass for thirteen years old.

"You must be, Cheena."

Jessie held out her hand and the girl received it with a slight bow. The younger girl's eyes were reduced to slits as she smiled. She must be half-Japanese or half-Korean, Jessie deduced.

"Sorry, I'm late, ate!"

Ate? As in, older sister? The term was not exactly derogatory but there was something about the way she said it that miffed Jessie.

"Traffic?" Jessie asked.

"No, ate, my boyfriend was sooooo cute just now. He did not want me to leave his condo. He wanted us to spend the entire afternoon together but I told him I have to meet my new roomie."

Boyfriend? Jessie could almost see this girl's boyfriend hanging out in their house, making out on her couch. Mental check, not a good sign.

"So, if we come to agree on certain terms, will you move in right away?"

"Yes, Jessie. I'll move in tomorrow, if you want."

"Perhaps, Justin has already briefed you about how much would be my rent?"

"Ten thousand per month, right?"

The girl nodded as if ten grand was no issue to her. She must be well-off. Jessie took another mental note, this time a positive sign. This girl is loaded.

"Justin mentioned you had issues with your previous apartment. What exactly happened?"

"It was very petty," Cheena replied. "My landlord had a big issue with the fact that I own a pet snake and a pet tarantula."