Chapter 18

She did not explain to Harrison why she needed to rush to some grocery store all of a sudden or why he couldn't stay with her. Thankfully, Harrison had somewhere else to go to and he did not insist for further explanation. Or maybe her friend did have a hint and chose not to pry.

"Call when you get into trouble, Cass. I'm serious," he said before she rushed out of his car.

Once inside the store, she grabbed a cart and took anything her eyes landed on. She was lost between aisles of fruits when her phone rang. It was Philip, obviously.

"He really drives fast," she murmured as she punched the button. "What?" she uttered loudly.

"Where are you?"

"I'm somewhere in the fruit section," she answered, cringing her head to see if he was around. "Hey! I see you! Over here!" she waved her hand.

He was still wearing the same gray shirt and black pants and of course, that same irritated look that only got worse when he spotted her. "Don't shout. I'm coming over and stay right there." Something in his tone told her she better run and hide.

Philip strode toward her and though Cassandra knew he was angry, she couldn't help but stare with amazement. That man walking toward her, oblivious of the admiring glances of women he passed by, was her husband—her handsome angry husband.

Slap! Slap! Slap! She couldn't look at him that way. He's mean to you, a voice deep inside reminded her. He's keeping secrets from you. And he could be a Mafia. Yes, he can be a very bad guy, Cassandra. Very bad.

"Now, Philip, calm down," she took a step back and whirled her cart in front of her as a barrier and shield.

"Didn't I tell you that you can't get out without my permission?" he hissed, bumping the cart in anger.

"I know! But I thought I should do some shopping for later and you were busy working."

"I didn't see you walk out the door," he pointed out. His blue eyes were now throwing daggers at her.

"Of course I did..." not. I promised not to get out that blasted door if you can remember.

They stared at each other for a long, tense moment.

Finally, when Cassandra couldn't take it anymore, she smiled at him, "Now, babe—"

"Don't babe me right now, Cassandra."

"What? Okay, you're mad. I understand that. But since you're already here, why don't you help me? Come on..." she stepped back, taking the cart with her.

His eyes flew at the cart, and his frown deepened. "Are those avocadoes? How do you intend to serve those?"

She followed his gaze. Yeah, she didn't know she grabbed those actually. "That's a surprise," she said, her thoughts already flying to Google right now.

Without another word, he turned around.

"Where are you going?"

He glanced at her over his shoulder. "I thought we're shopping?"

"Yes, of course," she trailed behind him with the cart. He did not even make a move to help her. Great! And I told my friend you're a gentleman...

"Hurry, I still have work at home."

That moment, she wanted to run the cart straight through him in fury.

They spent another thirty minutes arguing over meats and seasonings. Cassandra of course didn't know a thing about any of it. She just opposed everything Philip chose because that was what her new main purpose in life.