Chapter 3 - Capture the Flag

Updates, will be coming less frequently now as I'm starting to get near to the end of my pre-typed chapters. Thank you to everyone who has read, voted, and commented. Happy reading! :) ~ LostInInk

Friends and family life were very important to most the human residents of Adolphus's plantation. We all knew that a family member could be fine when they exited the house in the morning, and come back that evening injured. Worse, they could not return. They could be sold or killed. Hence, whenever we had free time, we spent it with or taking care of our loved ones. 

Men frequently organized hunting parties to feed their families, since Sordida would not provide necessities for their slaves. Teenage boys also got involved with this activity, and I did too. I knew how to hunt, so it made sense that I should go with them. Women and teenage girls would stay at home and sew or bake for the family when the materials were available. It was not uncommon for women from several different families to band together and work on a blanket for a new baby or wedding. They also could spend their time planning for such an occasion. These events were a big deal in our community and even we didn't have a lot to work with, we tried to celebrate when we had work free periods. 

Children occupied themselves with games. Hide and seek and tag were favorites of the younger children. The teen boys and I preferred capture the flag, though tag and hide and seek were also welcome, along with anything else that was competitive and involved physical activity. The other girls never played with us, because strenuous activity had never been a forte for female slaves. At least until I came along. 

Two days after I first met Morgan Adolphus dismissed a large amount of the slaves early. He was really taking his visitors seriously, and said he didn't want the slaves he kicked out doing any more work. They might mess up what had already been perfected around the household. Most of these were field workers, though he put off all his womanly entertainment except Morgan. Again I felt bad for her. 

We still had plenty of daylight to burn so the boys and I decided it was a good idea to take part in a game of capture the flag. First we nominated captains, and by majority vote Karr Smith, a stable boy who had been demoted to the fields for the day, and Felix Asher, the pretty boy every girl wanted, were chosen. Then we had to decide who got first pick, or rather- 

"First one to that tree and back gets Regina!" called Felix. 

"Then she's already mine!" replied Karr as both adolescents ran towards a tall fir at on the other side of the clearing where we convened. I was tempted to run after them and say if I got there first pick what team I got to be on. I would've selected Felix. Karr was very strategic, but my ideas would clash with his and then we would expend more energy fighting than searching for the enemy flag. Felix would put me at a position based on the team he designed and then leave the rest up to me. Also, he was my best guy friend. 

Fortunately for me, Felix was outrunning Karr by several feet. Karr was well built, but not for speed. Felix on the other hand, could probably catch a rabbit by chasing it on foot. In fact, I had seen him do it, with a little help from a net of course. 

Felix, therefore, won the race. I gave him a high five as I jogged to his side. 

"Nice run," I commented. 

"Yeah right," he snorted. "You could have beaten me." 

I was impressed with the accolade. It seemed that all of the teen boys were proud, and as I said, they loved competition. So this compliment was a bit of an honor. 

"Race you later," I muttered. 

"Brandon." He selected another man for our team. Then he whispered to me, "You're on."