Chapter 1 - Morgan Ravenwood

Well, regardless of the lack of response, I shall persevere. This one's a bit of a fluff chapter but if I  get a comment I will update as soon as I get it.  :) Happy reading. ~ LostInInk

Chapter 1 - Morgan Ravenwood

"Lizzie! Lizzie!" my best friend and adopted sister Leila was attempting to shake me awake, with little success. She continued for five minutes before I responded. 

"What, Lei?" I asked groggily. 

"We've got to get up! We're running late," the urgent words spilled off her lips. "The master will whip us again. He's not very happy with you." 

"Correction," I mumbled into my pillow. "I'm running late. You are probably already dressed and ready to go." 

"It doesn't matter. You know I won't go anywhere without you. You are bringing this punishment on both of us." 

"Ugh." I rolled over. I hated it when she pulled that excuse. "Fine. Where is the ugly brown uniform dress of doom?" 

"At your feet. I got everything together for you so we wouldn't be that late." 

"Thanks. I'll be out in five minutes."  

She nodded, and then left through the linen curtain that was in our doorway. It was a curtain and not a door because when I was twelve I had locked the door in order to avoid working for my master, Adolphus. Then I had snuck out the little window that was ten feet above the floor that no one thought I could reach (I had jumped from the bunk bed to the window). They thought I had killed myself when I stopped responding to the pleas of my adopted family for me to exit the room. Then they had broken down the door. When I wasn't there everyone became even more worried, and someone summoned Adolphus. He didn't know what to make of it. He said if I was found dead or alive I was to be handed over to him immediately. I came back that evening and everyone was overjoyed that I wasn't dead. Then there had been qualms about whether I should be handed over to Adolphus. Many feared he would whip me, while others said he might be reasonable. I, personally, had severe doubts about the being reasonable option, but someone convinced Leila's parents to take me to Adolphus. He showed no mercy. I received ten lashes for shirking my duty. I didn't cry though, I wouldn't give him the satisfaction. I got another ten lashes for that. I was very near to fainting when the flogging ended. They had to carry me back to my room. 

Currently, I examined the scars on my back in the mirror. They were numerous, and my back didn't really look like a back so much as a knot of crisscrossing scars. That had been the first, but not only occasion when I had been whipped. There were a few patches of pale skin that looked as if they were untouched. I figured it wouldn't be that long until those were not extant. 

I roughly pulled my dress over my head, covering the scars, and then turned my attention to my hair. It was hard to manage, and seemed to have a personality of its own as I braided it. My eyes flickered around the room as I did this. I was being vigilant. When I was very young my father had taught me to always know my surroundings, and as a result I was always analyzing everything within my line of sight. This habit caused many people to think I was extremely nervous, especially because of my past. 

Finished with my preparations, I stepped into the main living area where Leila was waiting. Her curly hair was held back in a ponytail and her dark skinned hand anxiously rapped on our wooden table. She saw me and sprang up from her seat, seizing my hand and dragging me to the door. 

"Come on, let's go!" 

We weaved in and out of slave huts until we arrived at the main mansion. This was where Adolphus lived. It was more than ten times the size of a slave hut. We rushed to the main hall, where Adolphus entertained guests and ruled over his property. It was also where the house workers met every morning to be assigned their tasks for the day.