Chapter Sixteen

Now, Vi is usually a tight sleeper.

Most of the time, nothing can make her wake up from her deep slumber. Not even the sounds of the street, since their bedroom window overlooks the main road, and Vi is more than used to it. Not even the occasional shouts from the outside — as an enforcer, Vi knows how to distinguish drunken yells from legitimate cries for help.

So it is all the more surprising that she wakes up to the sound of whispering. The whispers are coming from the adjacent room — Jinx's bedroom — and at first Vi thinks she'd rather curl up to her girlfriend (fiancee!!!) and go back to sleep, but then she hears Jinx scream, and all notions of sleep are out the window as she springs up and runs to assist her little sister.

Despite Caitlyn hissing something, Vi clenches her fists and, with a well-practised movement, kicks in the door to Jinx's bedroom, eager to kick whatever intruder has had the guts to hurt her little sister—

Her little sister, who is... Who is... screaming at her? To get out? Who is... on top of Lux... Under the blankets... Oh. Oh. Ooooooh. Wait. Wait a minute!

"AAAAAAAA!!!" Vi screams as her brain finally processes what she has just seen and storms out of the bedroom, while Jinx and Lux scramble to get dressed.

A few minutes later, the little family of four are all gathered at the kitchen table, Lux blushing in embarrassment, Jinx irritated and hissing at her sister, Vi apologetic, and Caitlyn sleepy and so so so tired.

"I swear I thought someone was hurting you!" Vi says once again, hoping that one day her mind will be merciful enough to help her forget the horrible image that is now imprinted in her brain.

"What if I like it when Lux hurts me, huh?" Jinx spits with playful malice. "What if I ask her to—"

"Aaaaa please Jinx no, I can't know that!" Vi somehow manages to cover both her ears and eyes at the same time with her hands and forearms.

"Well, clearly there is something we need to do." Cait looks over the group sleepily while Lux giggles to herself with a blush at her girlfriend's antics.

"Bleach my eyes?" Vi immediately proposes. "And my brain. And, like, my soul."

"Soundproof the walls, sweetheart. We need to soundproof the walls."

Everyone nods at Caitlyn's truly wise idea, while Jinx wonders why she didn't think of that sooner. Vi throws her arms around her soon-to-be-wife and plasters her with kisses.

"Your fiancee is being a moron," Jinx chuckles to Caitlyn, her grudge forgotten at the thought of how much Vi has already suffered just from seeing her little sister in such a compromising position.

"I love that moron." Caitlyn leans in and plants a soft kiss on Vi's cheek. "I am marrying that moron."

"I love you guys," Jinx says happily, because is there anything more wonderful (and mushy, but still wonderful) than love?

"I love you, Jinx," Lux says quietly by her side and looks right at her, instead of averting her eyes, like she would in the past. "You don't have to say it back, but the moment seemed right, and I—"

"I love you too, Lux," Jinx says with a smile, and this is the happiest she has ever been. "I love you too."

~The end~