ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟚: 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕙𝕒𝕣𝕞𝕒 𝕠𝕗 𝕜𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤

Arjun's pov

People exclaimed in raw horror as Gandhari finished speaking her terrible words, but Arjun could not utter a single word.

He gaped at Madhav, his heart frozen into ice.

"Jiji," said Kunti. "Take it back, Jiji, how can you curse Kanha for how fate turned out? Do you think he is happy with the ruination?"

Gandhari took a step back, covering her mouth in despair. The enormity of her action seemed to be dawning upon her.

But as she extended a remorseful hand to Madhav, he, of all things, smiled. "No one but me can cause the destruction of my clan, Queen Mother. Nevertheless, I accept your curse."

"Madhav!" Arjun had finally found his voice. "You're not accepting the curse. I--I command you not to accept the curse."

A hushed silence fell amongst their audience. Arjun glanced around, confused.

"You've got some nerve," Madhav whispered, eyes twinkling. "Commanding the Lord in front of everyone."

Well, thought Arjun, it might have looked strange to everyone, but this was not a joke.

"You--" began Arjun fiercely.

"He is right, Madhav," said Bheem quickly. "Please."

"Reject the curse, Krishna," Gandhari implored. "I spoke out of grief and rage from the deaths of a hundred sons; I never meant to curse you."

"Your grief is perfectly justified, Queen Mother," said Madhav gently. "In fact--"

"Do not accept the curse, Lord Krishna!" "Reject the curse, Lord Krishna!" The same people who had been deriding Yudhishthir earlier started chanting in unison.

Madhav raised his voice. "Calm down, everyone. Queen Mother Gandhari has gained immense ascetic merit born out of her great sacrifice. Her curse will indeed come true someday. Let no one refer to it again."

Arjun opened his mouth.

"That includes you," Madhav told him in a low voice for good measure. "Thirty six years is in the distant future, Parth, and we have much to think about and much to do in these thirty six years."

***

No matter how hard everyone tried--Madhav, Kunti, Dhritarashtra, even Sage Vyasa and Narada--Yudhishthir refused to rise again. He went about like a zombie, did not sleep, and called worse and worse curses upon himself by the day.

One day when they were gathered in the courtroom, Yudhishthir speaking to a servant listlessly while Panchali sat resigned, Arjun found Madhav frowning, lost in deep contemplation.

"What are you thinking, Madhav?" Arjun asked anxiously.

"Your grandfather wishes for my presence before passing on," said Madhav, and looked at Yudhishthir's slumping form. "Jyesht, go and talk to him before winter solstice arrives."

"How can I face him, Madhav?" croaked Yudhishthir. "He is my grandfather, and I had him incapacitated on the battlefield out of greed for a throne."

"That is the last thing you did." Now Madhav sounded stern. "And he will convince you of that himself. He has garnered immense wisdom and knowledge during his stay on earth, including ruling, even if he has never been a king. I insist you go, jyesht."

Yudhishthir rose and left. His brothers looked at Madhav for permission to follow, who granted it with a nod.

***

Arjun tried to shut off Bhisma's bed of arrows, and the wounds, which would have killed a human long back had he not had the blessing of death-at-will.

"Come here, child," Bhisma called to Yudhishthir. "I am so proud of you. We are all proud of you."

"Proud of what, Pitamah?" said Yudhishthir in a hollow voice. "For killing my family, my friends, my Teacher, my elder brother?"

"This despondency is unbecoming of a king," said Bhisma. "A king does what is best for the welfare of his people, not himself. A king cannot afford to have feelings of his own. He belongs to his people, only to his people. And you, Yudhishthir--you, your brothers and your mother have been victims of fate. Embrace your fate and forsake grief, my dear.

"You have to look ahead into the future. You are the king of our land."

The five of them settled down to listen as Pitamah spoke of the dharma of kings. It would be useful only to their jyesht, but it was a blessing to still have their grandfather speaking to them, words of wisdom laced with love.

Arjun wished winter solstice never came.

***

"And do not forget Lord Krishna was at your side," said Bhisma softly as the day of his passing came. "Krishna is affected by only one thing--the love his devotees have for him. To have won Krishna on your side speaks a lot about your character, my children."

At that point, Madhav appeared to grant him his last wish.

"I am ready to leave my body," Bhisma said, looking at Madhav. "It is said that one should contemplate on the form of the Lord just before he sheds his body. But I am so blessed that I have the Lord Himself by my side. I could not ask for anything more."

In Madhav's face, Arjun caught the aura of the Lord of Creation once more as he smiled at Bhisma. But mingled with the awe and admiration was the knowledge that it was winter solstice.

It was time.

"Farewell, my dear grandsons."

Arjun's blurred gaze saw Pitamah glancing at each of his brothers before resting on him.

'Look what I brought for you, father!'

'I am not your father, my dear. I am your father's father. Call me Pitamah.'

Pitamah. A word that resembled to Arjun the umbrella above his head. Protective, loving, forever-present.

Bhisma closed his eyes and breathed his last.

***

Pitamah had trained them well to accept his passing away. Arjun did not break down. Neither did his brothers. Yudhishthir had already set up a meeting with the Ministers to begin ruling the kingdom.

Arjun watched silently as they spoke. 

"What are you thinking about?" Madhav asked, slipping up to stand beside him.

"Everything," said Arjun, without pondering upon the reply. "Pitamah, Abhimanyu, Srutakarma. Drish--it still seems strange, you know, Madhav, that they are gone. And the strangest part is often I feel they are still here, Pitamah in Hastinapur's court, Abhi in Dwaraka, Srut and Drish in Panchal...I suppose we never spent much time with our loved ones at all. It was always just the five of us, with Maa and Panchali--and you."

He looked around at the grand architecture of the palace.

"We don't belong here."

"You need to get away," said Madhav firmly. "You and I can manage the affairs of Indraprastha for a few weeks while the others stay on here in Hastinapur."

"You mean, we're leaving?"

"Yes."

"Immediately?"

"Yes."

A long-forgotten emotion stirred inside Arjun.

Anticipation. Excitement.

Going on an impromptu trip with Madhav, just like old times. Impromptu trips with Madhav were just the best.

"All right," he said. "I will just--"

"Inform jyesht first," drawled Madhav.

And it was almost a miracle: Arjun laughed.