Chapter 11

“Oh my friend, we have a lot to do in the 7 hours, 37 minutes, and 23 seconds we have until 8 o clock!” Hex jumped excitedly while walking on the street with Whitty. Whitty was still in his hoodie.
“Hex keep it down! I don’t think this date is a good idea.” Whitty pulled his hood over his face. Hex had a confused look on his face, “But why my friend!? Your heart rate around Carol increases, indicating you have romantic feelings! With my understanding of psychology, I feel you should be excited about this date.”
“Because we’re out in the open and I doubt she’d like it if I wore my hoodie, I’m gonna be fully exposed to him!” He shouted, avoiding saying his name.
Hex turned concerned. “Whitty, your heart rate and the sweat on your face suggest you are terrified but there is nothing to worry about! I’d been analyzing police reports and evidence shows that Updike is not in the area.”
“Where are you even taking me?” Whitty ignored his reassurance. Hex smiled. “My friend, this is your first date, you need to be looking sharp so I brought you to the tailor's facility to get you a suit!” Whitty looked up and saw they were, in fact, at the tailor's.
“Dude are you nuts! I’m gonna be totally exposed!” Whitty sank down against the building, clutching his hoodie as if his life depended on it. Hex smiled. “Oh my friend, I have already thought of this! I called on a friend to make sure you remain anonymous.”
He gently grabbed Whitty’s hand to lead him into the story. Whitty sighed and followed.
“Whitty, this is my friend and acquaintance, Static. Whitty looked and gasped. Wow, this guy was really similar to Hex. He had a TV head but with no idle expression. He was wearing headphones with a hat that seemed like a speaker. Is that how he talks? And just a black hoodie and blue jeans.
“He and I rented out the place just for you!” Hex nodded to Static and Static pulled down the blinds. Whitty smiled. “Thanks, Hex.”

Hex grinned. “Now! Let us get you fitted.”
Whitty stood there like an NPC that was broken with his arms out. “Hex my arms are aching, please can we hurry this up.”
“Whitty, we need to find the perfect suit to match your precise measurements, now I don’t need to be rude, but hush and be patient,” Hex said as he held out the tape measurer. Whitty rolled his eyes.  A few minutes later, Hex was finally done with the measurements.
After for what seemed like absolute hours, Hex finally emerged with some examples.
“Now it is time for a fashion show!” Hex smiled, for once sounding more human than robot. Whitty sighed, this would take a while.

He would walk out with a blue suit, two thumbs down.

Purple, two thumbs down.

Dark green, one thumb up, one thumb down.

It was 4:30, they’d been there for 3 hours. But finally, Hex and Static both smiled, finally, the perfect suit.

Whitty walked out in a white suit with a black bowtie. Finally… two thumbs up.
“I actually like this one,” for the first time in 3 hours, Whitty smiled. Hex clapped his hand, sounded like two pieces of metal being hit against each other, which is exactly what it was.

Static said nothing but nodded.
Next stop, flowers. Whitty walked confidently in his new suit. Hood off (which took a lot of convincing from Hex.)
He noticed ladies swooning.
“According to my surrounding scanners, it seems you are very popular my friend.” Hex nudged Whitty with his metallic “elbow.” Whitty nodded, “Yeah, you might be right.”
Whitty was led to the flower shop and got Carol her favorite flowers (information provided by Sunday)

It was 6 o clock and Carol was also getting ready.
She was sitting in front of the mirror, letting Sunday do her hair while she did her own makeup.
“So why did you ask him out???” Sunday excitedly asked.
“I don’t know. He just seems… kind.” She was done with her makeup and Sunday was finishing up her hair.
Carol went through her closet and found the perfect dress. It was purple and had a little flair to it and a sash around the waist. Sunday helped tie it in a bow in the back. Carol looked in the mirror. Sunday smiled, “You look beautiful.” She said, as platonically as they could.
It was 7:54 pm. Whitty was at the door. “I’m early, I shouldn’t be here.”
“It’ll be okay Whitty!” Hex said in his ear.

EARLIER

“Now Whitty, I’m going to give you a wireless headphone that will act as a transporter for my voice. In other words, I’m talking to you in your ear. Now, I will be in the area so if you need advice, just say the word, flower.” Hex handed Whitty the tiny earbud and he himself had a headset on.
“Can you hear me, Whitty?”
Whitty nodded.
“Good, now good luck!”

PRESENT

Whitty, his hand shaking, knocked on the door.
Carol looked up and opened the door. You’d think she’d be intimidated by an 8’11 bomb standing over her, but no, she smiled.
“Hello Whitty, it’s 7:58, cutting it close don’t you think?” She smiled.
Whitty blushed. “Um I well I just wanted to be on time and I-” Carol started laughing.
“I’m joking Whitty. Are those flowers for me?” She smiled.
Whitty fumbled the flowers in his hands, “I uh yes! Yes, here you go!” Whitty’s arms were at Carol’s shoulders so he just hoped that she wouldn’t be offended for not being able to reach her hands.
Carol reached up and grabbed the flowers.
“My favorite. Shall we go?” Carol offered her hand. Whitty blushed and clutched it. He looked behind him and saw Sunday give the thumbs up. Whitty sighed.
Carol lead him to a dock near a carnival. People passing by. It was crowded and yet Whitty felt… safe.
“So?” Carol had her head in her hand, resting her elbow on the table.
“So…?” Whitty wondered. Carol raised an eyebrow. She wanted Whitty to say something but Whitty wasn’t sure what to say.
“Whitty! I believe due to her body language, she is wondering for a compliment! Tell her she looks nice!” Hex screamed in his ear.
“You… you look beautiful.” Whitty’s face turned red and Carol smiled.
It was… awkward to say the least. They needed to talk about something! But what!
But then, a noise. A beautiful noise. Carol… started singing. Her voice was angelic, it made his heart race. Carol had a look on her face and she took a pause. Whitty… joined. It was weird. It was a mix of a hard metal screech and a voice of an angel. But somehow their voices mixed in a perfect cacophony of harmony. Whitty was scared, he didn’t wanna mess up so he followed her lead. But… he started getting more confident. He smiled as he sang and followed her notes. People stopped to listen. It soon moved from a peaceful song to an upbeat happy song. He stood up, Carol joined him.
“Um Whitty, you might wanna stop,” Hex warned in his ear. Whitty was confused, he was having too much fun to heed Hex’s warnings.
“Whitty! Stop!” Hex raised his voice. Whitty was still singing, getting annoyed. He was about to throw the earpiece into the dock when Hex shouted.
“Whitty! Look out!” Whitty suddenly looked over and saw the face he hoped to never see.
Then he heard a gunshot.