EXPOSITION

EXPOSITION (Lines 216-462) and FIRST STASIMON (Lines 463-512)

Summary

This section opens with Oedipus’ speech in which he clarifies his intentions to find Laius’ murderer and forbids the people of Thebes to shelter the murderer in their houses or support him in any way. He commands his people to drive out the sinner from their doors. He then curses the murderer and his family to live and die in wretchedness and also pledges to avenge Laius’ death, as if it were his own father’s. When the elders suggest that Teresias, the prophet be summoned, Oedipus replies that he has already sent for him.

Soon the blind prophet Tiresias is led in by a servant. After extolling his talents, Oedipus asks him to reveal the name of the person in question. When Tiresias refuses to do so, Oedipus begins to insult him and accuses him that he must be involved in the crime. Tiresias continues to be silent and Oedipus becomes increasingly antagonistic until finally Tiresias says that the murderer is none other than Oedipus himself.

Oedipus does not believe him and accuses Tiresias of conspiring against him, in association with his brother-in-law, Creon. He constantly decries Tiresias as being involved in the murder and scoffs at him, claiming that the wise man had not been able to answer the Sphinx, whereas he had accomplished this task. He taunts him for being blind and says that only his age has prevented him from being punished. A furious Tiresias predicts Oedipus’ future fall, claiming “Misery shall grind no man as it will you.” An enraged Oedipus throws Teresias out of the palace.

This section ends with Stasimon I. In this ode, the Chorus invokes Apollo to guide them and help them find the murderer. At the same time, they express their faith in Oedipus’ innocence.