SUMMARY

PROLOGUE AND PARODOS

Summary

The ‘Prologue’ of Oedipus Rex, extends from the opening of the play to the opening Choral ode or Parodos (Line 151). In the ‘Prologue,’ Oedipus comes out of his palace to find a crowd gathered. An old priest gives Oedipus an account of the sufferings of the Thebans and puts forward the request that Oedipus, who had saved them once from the deadly Sphinx, should again rescue Thebes from the clutches of a disastrous plague. Oedipus reassures the Priest, saying that he has already sent his brother-in-law Creon to Delphi to inquire of the oracle what the cause and remedy of this catastrophe is.

At this moment, Creon returns with the news that the gods are angry with Thebes as the murderer of Laius, the previous king of Thebes, is still at large and has not been punished for his crime. When Oedipus questions the Thebans about the details of the murder, they tell him that the former ruler, Laius was murdered on a journey by a band of robbers. Oedipus swears to find the murderer in his kingdom and prosecute him since doing this may also save himself from danger. Therefore, “serving Laius, I serve myself.” In this manner, he hopes to save his land.

The opening Choral ode, the Parodos, follows the Prologue. The Parodos is a prayer to the Olympian gods to save Thebes and is chanted by the elders. Not only does it ask the gods to release Thebes from the pestilence but it also expresses a fear that Oedipus’ investigation may bring to light information which will be even more destructive.