Chapter 2

Gwyn hadn't made a move against the flag during training. Not that Az had expected her to, but one could never be too careful. There was no way to tell what she was plotting. After sealing their bargain, Az had carefully folded the flag and slipped it into his back pocket. He'd find a better, more secure location for it later. She watched his hand as he stowed it away. Gwyn was single-minded, resourceful, and stubborn; a dangerous combination. He had no doubt that she was already plotting multiple plays for the flag so he would need to be on the lookout for any signs, anything suspicious.

Anything at all, even the smallest of hints, from any source. Because the best of spies came at you from the side, using methods you'd never suspect; trying to get you to lower your guard. They could be the most mundane things, seeking to lull you into a false sense of security. Things like lunch.

"Are you joining us for lunch today Az?" Nesta asked, as she helped clean up the training ring.

Az paused with a hand over the water jug. He took lunch with Nesta and Cassian most days. It seemed odd that she would ask about it. Unless of course, she and Cassian were planning on skipping lunch in favor of more... intimate activities.

"Why?" Az asked suspiciously. "Are you inviting Gwyn to lunch as well?" As if on cue, Gwyn crossed to his side to help break down the water table. She smiled pleasantly at him, as though he had not just been wary of her presence.

The Valkyrie desires your company, Singer.

Az had no doubt that Gwyn desired something from him at that moment, but he very much doubted that company was what she was after.

"What's the play here, Berdara?" Az asked her, not waiting for Nesta to answer his question. "You going to spill soup all over your pretty priestess robes, ask me for a napkin to clean up, and hope I hand you the flag?"

"You think my robes are pretty?" Gwyn batted her eyelashes at him. And he hated himself for doubting her. He was going to second guess everything she said now, everything she did, until this was over and the bargain tattoo was off their skin.

Az lifted the water jug off the table and together, he and Gwyn put it away, as he avoided answering her question. "Would it help if I promised not to steal the flag while at lunch? I'm more than happy to call a temporary truce if that would make you feel better," she offered with a magnanimous air.

"I suppose I could be persuaded to join the three of you for lunch," Az conceded.

Gwyn trailed him back toward the door to the House with a smile on her face. Az made a small detour to retrieve the water jug and then they followed their friends down the stairs. He expected that she would make her way to the next staircase to continue to the dorms below in order to freshen up following training, to change out of her fighting leathers, but Gwyn remained at Az's shoulder as he lugged the jug to the kitchen.

"I hope you don't mind that I challenged you like that in training today," Gwyn said, as soon as they were alone.

"I don't," Az answered honestly. "You are allowed to speak your mind, Gwyn. No matter how publicly."

"I'm just ready for a new challenge. I want to prove myself."

"You don't think earning the title of Carynthian is proof enough already?" Their pace had slowed somewhat as they talked.

"There are those that will say it wasn't justly earned. That the Blood Rite was tainted by our presence, by the weapons, by Briallyn."

"Is that how you feel?"

Gwyn hesitated. "I am not certain I am a fan of the title, or any title for that matter. I do not want anyone to doubt me; to doubt what I am capable of."