Chapter 6: The Arrival

Three times the sun rose and fell, marking the end of the three-day term that was requested by Charles to allow him time to get his affairs in order before he would leave for Kallistar Court that evening before the sunset beyond the horizon. The streets of Elysia seemed quieter now at this time than it did three days ago when Kaithen and Archar were last at the alchemy shop, the familiar carriage coming to a halt outside the doors.

When the two men exited the carriage with the ordered two additional guards in tow, they were surprised to see an unfamiliar man standing outside the Alchemy shop, leaning against the door frame with his arms crossed over his broad chest and a pipe in his hand. The man looked like a younger version of Charles Vandeleur, with dark chocolate waves that fluttered in the gentle breeze and dark holly green eyes that looked upon them with interest. He wore a dirty white shirt and dark pants with black thigh high boots and a leather apron covered in soot. His hands were large and calloused, also caked in ash and soot, and he reeked of sweat and fire.

He straightened up as the two men approached before bowing, "A pleasure to make your acquaintance - I take it you are the two men my young sister told me about?"

"And you are?" Kaithen asked, arching a brow.

"Blake Lucian Vandeleur," the man responded, "I am Calithea's older brother and the youngest son to Charles and Helena Vandeleur."

"Ah, the leatherworker apprentice," Kaithen nodded, the memory coming back in full swing, "What brings you here?"

"Merely to help see my sister off and make sure you keep your promise," Blake answered, approaching the two as his face turned from genuine kindness to hard seriousness.

When he stopped before the Badger and the Stout, the two men realized he was monstrous in height - nearly the same height as the Grand Duke himself. Blake's holly green eyes turned from pleasant to cold in a matter of seconds as he eyed the two of them, "Make no mistake, if I hear that something happens to my sister while under the Grand Duke's eye-"

"Blake!" the voice of Calithea stopped her brother from threatening the men, "Honestly, show some respect!"

Kaithen was shocked as the alchemist's son withdrew, turning to his sister and resting a strong hand on her head, "I'm only concerned for you - I may have been able to persuade father about the issue, but if you get hurt..."

"You could get arrested for threatening members of the royal guard," Calithea answered, forcibly removing her older brother's hand from the top of her head, "Then, who would help protect papa while I'm away?"

Blake grunted, shaking his head and turning back to the four men, "My apologies - I am merely concerned for the well-being of my sister."

"I understand," Archar stepped forward, a smile on his face, "You would make an excellent guard dog had you worked under me."

"Julian was gifted with swordsmanship - not I, unfortunately," Blake answered, "Though I do appreciate the compliment."

"Shall we head in, then?" Calithea asked, leading the way as the men followed her.

The alchemy shop was as Kaithen and Archar remembered it, though it seemed more stocked than ever before. Charles stood at the counter, muddling over a few pieces of parchment, before he looked up as the group entered.

"Cali, Blake," he spoke firmly, "close the shop. I'm assuming our guests would like to speak with us privately before we are separated."

"There is no need this time," Kaithen answered, "We had to take precautions previously - however, everything is as it should be."

"Then who are these men?" Charles asked, pointing to the two guards that stood behind Kaithen and Archar.

"These are my best men, personal guards from the Grand Duke," Archar answered, "Upon explaining your situation, his grace has permitted them to remain here as personal guards for you and your son during the duration of time Calithea will be at Kallistar Court. They will be at your beck and call and will escort you to where you are needed and are ordered to protect you at all costs."