A Stare At The Mirror

This poem is kinda random but I thought that I should start basic and build up my confidence before writing a longer piece of poetry. My very first poem that I ever wrote.

One winter's day, I stared at my mirror. Counting the cracks which could be seen, counting the drips which can be heard from outside my window.

My first flashback came like this, it was my 6th birthday and I got the best gift. A little hamster with a ball which he could exercise on. One year later, he was dead. I was the person who watched his last breath.

My second flashback arrived out of nowhere, aged 10 and in costume ready for the school play. But I was stuck in a daze, forgetting my lines, I fell and cried front of the camera and the prompt came running on with my lines.

But I couldn't say no more and flew off the stage, smashing the glasses still in a daze and ran out the door and into the woods next to the school, I ran for ages, trying not to be heard. But sadly, my footsteps alerted a bird. The bird flew over my head and flew towards the school. Torch-lights and footsteps, I thought I was no more.

Flashback 3 involves my 13th, a Mobile phone, the gift for me. But that day, the school bullies came along, they taunted and teased me until I was sore. My new phone got smashed and fell to the floor. My birthday ruined and of course, Cuts and sores.

Flashback 4 came to me. Aged 16, I wanted to be free. To run away from the darkest clouds and brush away my frown. That was very impossible but I was determined and formed a risk I took.

I ran away to this room I am in, to break away and keep me from sin, but I could do nothing with myself, no job, no money. I just felt rumbles in my tummy. Little food and gifts but I had a stare.

And that's why I sit, looking like a growly bear, giving my darkest stare into the mirror. I just want the flashbacks to roll on by and for me to be a free-flying butterfly. But that won't happen, staring at my mirror one winter's day. My stare shall remain...