PART I

It was the cold that awoken her. Heavy eyelids fought to lift, something in her gut told her not to take in the next temptation of a lull slumber. Everything was blurry. She could barely see her surroundings. And through the dying ringing in her ears, she could hear the cracking, like something was eating. Carefully—she noticed the unusual amount of warmth flooding down her left thigh—leaning against her elbows and turning her body just the slightest in the direction of the noise and the light.

Ah, now she remembers.

She felt the tears and couldn't figure out when she started to cry. All she knew for sure was that something had gone wrong, and she pleaded and thought hard if she could've done something different to avoid this—whatever this was—perhaps she should've listened to her friends' advice.

They'd been sitting at a local ramen house, the three girls a regular to the shop and it's employees. The exterior resembled a very small one story house, while the interior lined either wall with at least three long windows. Booths also lined either side of the walls, a few tables in the middle, and styled in wood. At the counter, two students stood, one of a newly graduated from her high school, the other, a junior. Meanwhile, Song Yuqi, senior in her high school, had the fortunate chance to skip out of paying for her meal. The hour struck at two in the afternoon, and the TV in the small shop beamed to life with news of the daily report and recent events.

"It is advised that locals should be sure to double check the locks and doors of their place of stay, as in recent findings, child kidnappings have begun to happen more frequently in this time of year. Authorities have found that these kidnappers aren't just looking for the parks. They will try and break into your home—"

A bowl is placed down in front of her, interrupting her concentration on the screen and turning her eyes to the others.

"Your regular of a max level of a spicy ramen, enjoy." Yeh Shuhua drawled out. Eyes speaking of the hidden annoyance of having lost a bet and using her own money to make an extra expense. In other words, simply, a price to pay.

Yuqi stuck a tongue out with a playful smile while the other friend joined them at the table, clad in the seasonal fashion of expensive wear.

Cho Miyeon placed down her purse and laid her coat over the booth before plopping into the seat next to Yeh Shuhua. The brunette immediately rested her head into her hands and leaned forward as she sighed in visible exhaustion. Finally, one of those hands plucked off the sunglasses from her face. By then, the three had settled in their seats and looked at each other before digging in.

"I take it your dad is still....eh?" Yuqi shrugged one shoulder with an expression that didn't want to speak the full sentence out but still implied it. Miyeon could only pout against her chopsticks.

"Yeah... still partying, still drinking, what's worse now is that he's been hosting business meetings at the house. It's ridiculous." Miyeon shakes her head, eyes far off as she remembers the last several days.

"Like, the amount of times I've had to lock my door just to keep those creeps out...ugh!" She fills a shiver go down her spine just remembering when she'd heard the heavy footsteps of one of them attempting to find her down the hall of her home.

Shuhua cringed while Yuqi shook her head with her eyes closed. Both wish to help their friend but are not sure how.
Cho Miyeon comes from a wealthy household. Meanwhile, the other students originate from China and Taiwan, meaning their households in Korea are not as good standing as the older girl. In other words, Miyeon's father could sink their finances easily if there is even a hint of a compromise to his image.