09

She's watching

The voice told Shuhua, and she wondered why this voice was always so persistent in speaking with her at random times. Was drinking alcohol as a minor really a side effect of her mistake? She brushed this voice off again, having noticed it was the cause of her headaches.

Sorry...

Shuhua ignores it again. It's hard because it is like she has headphones in her ears, the voice like a bass as it resonates and booms in her head. Not to mention, her internal monolgue was more...clear, profound as if she were really alive inside her own head. Which was technically true, but it's the thought process of trying to understand it more easily that counts.

She blinks away from her thoughts and comes back to the present of helping Song Yuqi with a few dishes, Yuqi as the washer and Shuhua as the dryer. It's a silent chore with a few playful water splashes but nothing else.

You should leave

Shuhua pressed her lips together in a thin line as she tried to conceal her emotions in front of her friend, who gave a big smile her way, she hopes her own wasn't too forceful.

It's not safe

Why?! What's not safe!?

Shuhua almost dropped her own plate as she realized she'd actually just engaged in conversation with the voice.

She's watching

This time, she actually processes what the voice means. Realization flushes through her as she recalls what Miyeon said on the phone about someone being in Yuqi's house.

"Shuhua?" She flicks her eyes to Yuqi's outstretched hand that holds the last plate.

"Oh, sorry, just thinking about...uh, the party and how close we'll cut it to me getting home on time..." She gives a tight smile that Yuqi seems to except with a shrug.

"I get it. We should rush Miyeon then, you know how she likes to enjoy her food." Yuqi rolls her eyes and walks out of the kitchen, Shuhua sighs and follows.

Upon coming back to the living room, she's about to complain about Miyeon not eating her food. But the look on the woman's face stops them both. Her hands are squeezing her phone so hard that the whites of her knuckles show.

"Miyeon?" Yuqi called and steps closer. She doesn't answer.

"Yah, Cho Miyeon..." Shuhua complains, but there isn't much of bite to her tone as she's never seen such a look on her friend's face before. The two girls go silent as Miyeon slowly picks up her head and looks towards the stairs. They watch as the woman practically goes pale.

"Yuqi..."

"Yes, Miyeon?"

She takes a moment to answer.

"Who's upstairs?"

Shuhua is shocked and turns to Yuqi for an explanation. The girl begins to stutter.

"Upstairs? No one, you know, it's just me and... myself, and I." She finished lamely, and Miyeon shook her head, never taking her eyes off the stairs. Instead, she lifts her arm and points.

"Please, Yuqi, don't bullshit and tell me who the fuck, is that, upstairs?!"

This time, the girls snap their eyes to the stairs. Shuhua screams while Yuqi could only freeze in fear at what she sees.

Because it was late into the evening, the lighting by the stairs had greatly darkened, leaving the top of stairs to look like an inky void. Except, they were able to make out a figure there, crouched on one of the highest points. Hands gripping the wooden supports, and most of all, being able to make out a glint of red eyes staring back.