Chapter 5

(A/N Woo I got this chapter done in one day! Also sorry if it's slightly short)

Keefe wasn't sure what to think. Despite the noise in his head, no coherent thoughts formed. This didn't make any sense. On one hand, Thelia could've easily lied about being an elf to gain his trust, but on the other hand, if they were human, how would they even know about elves in the first place?

Keefe felt like screaming.

Why did this all have to be so confusing?!

Why couldn't people just simply be honest with him? His friends were, at least mostly, and if they kept secrets, he was fine with that. Besides, they never lied to him. Or did they? No. They didn't. They wouldn't.

Keefe sighed.

It didn't even matter now. He was gone, and he wouldn't see them again. Ever. If he went back, they'd all be in danger. This was best. They were better off without him. He didn't matter.

Keefe didn't stop spiraling until he heard footsteps behind him.

"Keefe, are you okay?"

Bloom stood in the entrance to the clearing. She looked worried. "Yeah," No. "Just... missing home I guess." It wasn't a lie. It just wasn't the whole truth.

"Mmm." She murmured. Keefe sat down, and he saw Bloom sit beside him, staring at the sky. "Tell me about it." Keefe looked toward her at her statement. "Tell you about what?" "Tell me about what things were like before you came here." Keefe thought. He wasn't really sure what to tell her. "It's fine if you don't want to tell me right now," She said as she stood, interjecting his thoughts. "Afterall, secrets are better than lies."

Keefe watched her walk down one of the hallways, leaving him alone.

Secrets are better than lies.

And he would get Thelia to tell him the truth.

-

He had no clear plan of where he was going. He mentally slapped himself for not asking Bloom before she left. Whatever, he would find Thelia eventually.

Somehow, the universe gave him a stroke of luck, because he saw Thelia enter one of the rooms way down the hall. He didn't shout for her. This conversation was going to be in private, not in a hallway where anyone could hear them.

He opened the door, and peered down a long staircase, a light coming from near the bottom. He walked down, and saw Thelia bent over a desk looking at a few different maps.

"Thelia?"

Her head snapped up.

"Hi, do you need something or..."

Keefe cut to the chase.

"You have hazel eyes."

Thelia looked confused for a moment, then understanding dawned on her face. "I... I am an elf! I can explain!" Keefe huffed, and sat down. "Start talking then." Thelia sighed. "I will, but it's probably not what you'd expect."

Keefe leaned forward.

"My biology isn't natural. I am an elf, but not a regular elf." Keefe raised an eyebrow, inviting her to elaborate. "My hazel eyes are not a result of my genetics, but rather from something that happened before my birth."

"I have... unique abilities." She said suddenly. She flicked her wrists, and Keefe was astounded. Shadowvapor floated over her right palm, and light floated over her left. Seeing Keefe's expression, she continued. "I can control both shadows and light. It's how I create an illusion." The shadowvapor and light blinked away.

Something niggled in Keefe's mind. He wasn't sure what it was. He swallowed. "Are you the only one?"

Thelia shook her head.

"All of us except for Bloom are a part of it, though they were all prototypes." Keefe was confused. "Prototypes?" Thelia nodded. "They were all tests, making the way for me. I was the desired result." Keefe swallowed, hard. "What can they do?" Thelia paused. "This is just a barebones explanation." She warned. "They can go into more detail than I can."

Keefe nodded. He didn't care.

"Our nicknames are based on our abilities, it makes it easy to remember. Facet can form crystals, she often uses it to make us weapons or leaping crystals for a pinch." Thelia mumbled something else as blush tinged her cheeks, but he didn't hear. "Dynamite's is pretty obvious. He can form explosions from his hands. Oracle, his brother, has an interesting ability though. He can see anywhere he wishes, but he can't hear or interact with anything."Keefe nodded.

Thelia was silent.

"Well... thanks for telling me."

Thelia nodded and smiled.

Keefe started to walk away. Then it came to him. The niggling in the back of his mind. He turned suddenly.

"Thelia?" She looked up. "D-did the experiment you were all a part of have a name?" Thelia flinched. Then she nodded.

Time seemed to stop as Thelia whispered her answer.

"Stellarlune."