Chapter 4

(A/N Shoutout to my two friends A and R (Not real names for privacy reasons) who help me plan this whole thing out, and who will be a fan of Thelia and her friends to the very end. P.S I finally figured out how to make italics on Wattpad!)

For a second, when Keefe woke up, he couldn't remember where he was, then the memories of yesterday came flooding back. He decided to try and find the clearing from last night.

He stepped out into the hallway, then remembered that he also had no idea how to navigate this place, especially since he chose random paths last night. Well, at the very least, he knew the way to the kitchen. He could probably find someone there who could lead him, so that did seem like his best course of action.

Keefe still got slightly turned around, but he managed to find the kitchen eventually. And came in midway through a heated debate.

"-Way too early to go get some Thelia."

"Facet, I've been up for three hours. In my books, it's late enough!"

Keefe was curious.

"Uh, what exactly is it 'too early' for?"

Thelia turned to him.

"I wanted to go out and get gelato, but someone refuses to go with me." Thelia crossed her arms. "Well, why would it matter if she can't go with you."

Facet explained, "It's our protocol. There are dangers in the Forbidden Cities, so no one goes out alone." Thelia sighed, then perked up. "Hey, do you like gelato?" Keefe shrugged. "I've never had any, though I do know what it is." Thelia smiled. "Then you can be the one to go with me!"

Keefe smiled. He had almost tasted gelato when he and his friends were in Florence, but Sophie came with news of the Neverseen before he had the chance to try some, and after that, he knew he couldn't convince Sophie to get some for him.

"Sure, I'll come!"

-

Keefe was waiting for Thelia, standing on one of the human sidewalks. She promised to get him a flavor she thought he'd like, and it wasn't like he'd had it before, so it wouldn't be detrimental to wait outside.

Besides, it gave him an excuse to look for the Black Swan's surveillance. He knew he probably shouldn't mention it to his new friends, but since he'd learned how to identify it, he started keeping a watchful eye.

The door's bell dinged as Thelia appeared next to him. "Blue Raspberry! The best flavor." She announced, holding out a cup of gelato. Keefe took it in his hand, and tried his first spoonful. He was sure his eyes were sparkling as he said, "Okay, this might be the best thing I've ever tasted." "I know right! Amen to whoever came up with gelato!" Keefe laughed with her.

A minute later it was time to go. "I also got gelato for the others, because of my infinite selflessness." Keefe chuckled.

-

He finally made it back to his room, and layed down on the bed. The outing was great, though something... wasn't sitting right with him. What was it? Then it hit him. The outing was great.

It struck him anew how much he had connected with Thelia in one outing. One that only lasted for about two hours! The only other people that he'd instantly connected to were Dex and Sophie, and Thelia was nothing like them. In fact, their first meeting was almost a role reversal of his first meeting with Sophie.

The feeling of connection to Thelia wasn't romantic, he never thought of their relationship that way. But... There was something about her. Something that made Keefe want to talk to her. Listen to her. Literally just spend time with her. Then he realized... Thelia was feeling the same way.

He knew that he was becoming numb to sensing others emotions, but regardless, he could see it in her eyes. That bit of surprise, mixed with affection. He could tell that it wasn't a romantic connection for her either. But something about it... felt...

"Okay Keefe," He said, talking to himself, "You've spent way too much time thinking this over. Just... try and go find the Tuned Clearing again! That was your original plan anyway."
He set out. His plan was to either run into Bloom again, or just end up in the clearing himself. As he walked through hallway after hallway, nothing looked familiar. Then again, it was night last time, so things might look different in the daylight.

He spotted Thelia down the hallway, and ran to catch up with her.

"Hey, Thelia!"

She turned around, looking towards him.

"Hey, do you need something?"

"Yes actually. Can you take me to that tuned clearing thing, I found it last night and wanted to see it again."

She smiled.

"Right this way!"

They made their way through the halls, Thelia occasionally pointing out various other rooms to Keefe. Eventually, they made it back to the tuned clearing.

"Okay, here we are! If you need me, well I would say 'you know where to find me' but you probably don't." She winked one of her hazel eyes and walked away.

Wait.

Hazel eyes.

Thelia had told him she was an elf, and he had believed her but... all elves have blue eyes. He shook with his new realization.

Had they been lying to him this entire time?