Chapter 47: A Father's Intervention

Raj Varma's POV
Chuck's declaration of love has brought madness into our lives. Paparazzi are climbing over fences, taking pictures of our house and anyone they can photograph. The women in my household seem to always be dressed for a photo session.  My wife and Diya even answered a few questions thrown their way when they went out to town. They told the press that Chuck and Gayatri are set in stone to marry.

Their threats about not cooking or cleaning took effect the evening of the declaration. They stopped speaking to me. They pretend I don't exist. When I address them,they don't respond. I'm on the loosing end. Karan joined the resistance because he was hungry. They cook and lock up everything. RJ orders take out which he shares with me. Nisha's husband joined her.

I know that Chuck did this to push me against the wall. He wants to force my hand. The pressure is mounting. Relatives are calling, eager about the wedding. They want to know details about their relationship and my family is busy being the center for all information.

"You don't look like a man thrilled to be giving his daughter away." The man next to me at the bar addressed me. I paid attention to him. He's drinking and his head is tipped as low as his baseball cap.

"Well... I just can't wrap my head around it. Everyone is excited except me. Do you ha e children?"

"Four daughters, all married and I only attended one wedding."

"Waiter, give this man another drink." I ordered. "That's horrible!"

"You have no idea." He is still keeping his head low. I'm not keen to say anything about what my relationship with Gayatri has become. She does not speak to me. When I look into her big beautiful eyes, I see nothing but her sadness; a sadness I have caused. "But you won't have that problem, right?"

I believe that when she gets an opportunity, she will run away and I'll never see her again. I'll probably read about her marriage in the papers.

"I believe I will."

"Why is that?"

"Honestly, I'm not in agreement to their marriage."

"Is it the young man?"

"No. There's nothing wrong with him. He's a decent young man." He brought her back to me after she ran away. She didn't need to but she did. I was amazed by his actions. I didn't expect that from him.

"Then what's wrong?" The man asked.

"The way he went about it. I can't get past it. He dated her in secret, behind my back. She lied to me when she could have told me about him. It's the deceit that I cannot get past. Did any of your daughters behave this way?"

"All three. The first one is a rebellious brat. The second one is defiant criminal. The third one is sweet. I just don't understand why she lied about eloping in Vegas."

"Eloping is what I fear Gayatri will do."

He sighed audibly. "What if I assure you that she won't?"

"And why would I believe in your assurance?"

"Because I know the young man very well. I can confidently say that of the five children I have raised, he is the one I got right." He took off his baseball cap and placed it on the bar. He faced me. His eyes are just as green as Chuck's. "I'm sorry for the late introduction." He offered his hand to me.

"You're his father."

"That's right. Bruce St Patrick."

I shook his hand. "Raj Varma."

"It's a pleasure."

"Four daughters and you only attended one wedding. Was that the queen's?"

He chuckled to himself. "I watched that on TV. I almost died of a heart attack!"