𖤍.6

Act one

substancial nightmares

𖤍

six

trust

It was the loud voice of Walburga Black that woke up the whole noble house. Zelda was already awake, trying hard to move around her room without making a sound as not to wake Nymphadora. The two women had spent the night together, telling stories and laughing as they never did before. The window was open wide, and Zelda was seated on the windowsill, her left leg hanging over the edge. She was already dressed for the day, with her black silk dress that fortunately didn't get stained in the tomato sauce incident, a black slim long-sleeved shirt that had her shoulders and upper bust uncovered, and of course her heeled laced boots.

When the scream resonated around the house, Zelda flinched, almost dropping her cigarette down the window. Nymphadora jumped out of the bed, wand raised high and senses alerted before she realised it was just the crazy portrait. Zelda quickly extinguished the half burned out cigarette before Tonks could see (as she had secretly bought them knowing her cousin wouldn't agree) and pushed the small ashtray in the small hidden hole of the windowsill.

The loud shout from outside made Zelda run out of her room. She leaned down the stairwell, watching as Sirius was shouting at the portrait, his wand raised high. Tonks ran by her side, the woman leaning down the stairwell as well. The two watched as a redhead took a few steps back while Sirius threw a new cover on the portrait, a heavier cover. He muttered a small spell and the screaming stopped. The house remained silent for the few minutes. None dared to speak, afraid that they would wake up the fierce woman in the portrait once again.

"I swear to Lucifer, I'll burn that painting one day," said Zelda with a shake of her head, putting her wand back in the small, almost invisible, pocket of her dress.

"Take me with you when you're doing it," said Tonks with a chuckle before she looked back down, "and I told Charlie to be careful, in Merlin's name!" The woman shook her head and started walking towards the stairs. Zelda stared at the man that was still staring at the portrait rather shocked. Another man resembling him walked to his side and said a few words before they both walked away from the hidden portrait. Tonks let out a whistle, waking up Zelda from her trance. "You coming?" She asked before giving the young witch a smile, "I heard Ollivander's coming to breakfast. Something about checking our wands, safety protocols and all."