Story One: The Town

Its been nearly 6 years since the first outbreak. I sit nervously on my cot. I've been in Montana 3 years. We have a group of nearly four hundred. I stand up and pace around. I walk out my my make shift shelter and look around.

A large cluster of cabins surround a small pond. Walls 12 feet high at the lowest point protect us from any group of skin crawlers. Each cabin has its own garden. A pen of chickens and a pen of goats sits next to a large building, a community hall. A make shift school and black-top sit at the north edge of the pond.

A group of young kids play tag behind the school. Flower beds grow lilies and tulips and marigolds all the way around the pond. Groups of 15 or 20 guard each of the 4 sides of walls.

A short woman pushes a baby in a wooden carriage.

I sigh and smell the flower scented air. I let out a sigh of relief as I see my brother walk through the south gates. He went out on a hunt. Looking for vehicles we need to get around. We usually have to walk or ride one of the 12 horses we have in the east stables.

I run through the patch of cabins, past a small cluster of trees. My brother sees me and lights up. I run into his arms and he kisses my head.

"I missed you. So much. It was scary out there," My brother says handing me a bag.

"Is this for me?" I hold the bag up to my face.

He smiles, "Look inside, idiot!"

I grab the sides of the bag and un-zip it. I peer inside and see a bit of fur in the bottom. I look up at my brother, he definitely saw the confusion on my face.

My brother laughs and picks up the bit of fur it yawns and stretches. It yaps a bit as my brother sets my teeny puppy into my arms. I squeal and thank my brother. I take him back to our cottage where I show our parents.

I know they're tired but they don't say a thing. They just stay in bed. Their eyes are glossed over. My father has a chunk bit out of his neck so I taped it back on. My brother laughs as I sew chunks of my mother's leg back together.

I giggle as I brush my mother's hair and accidentally rip a chunk of flesh off her head. I kiss her head and tuck her back into bed. I love my parents.