1:Distinguished Haravatat Scholar Madam Faruzan

Most Kshahrewar students are more than happy to sit back and use the extensive research done by their esteemed Pir Kavikavus or her own research from over a century ago under the Haravatat on machine languages.

Pir Kavikavus deserves praise but Faruzan thinks that the Kshahrewar venerates him a bit too much. Even if they have had little else to celebrate since his untimely demise, his actions were groundbreaking but not something and entire darshan should rest on.

If he was still alive today, he would be ashamed of how his Kshahrewar administrative peers act: fawning over Grand Sage Azar and others in an attempt to garner funds. The Haravatat hasn't granted her funds for research since she emerged from The Temple of Silence and she still doesn't grovel at their feet for funding, nor will she change her research topics.

The Kshahrewar has both relied upon and ignored their own history for far too long.

In light of all of this, the thesis presentation of the so-called "Light of the Kshahrewar," their latest prodigy and likely recipient of the Pir Kavikavus Prize, is shockingly interesting.

The student himself, Kaveh, is a willowy wisp of a boy who looks like he would blow over in a stiff breeze with a flair for the melodramatic. Fortunately for him, he is also sharp, passionate in his defense, and most importantly chose a thesis subject that is fairly interesting. Dismantling the idea that the Building Block of the City of Wisdom's impact has only been positive, this Kaveh has done the most interesting thing a Kshahrewar student has done in years: be incisive and critical rather than insular and scared.

Faruzan decides that she likes him, even with his overly romantic ideals, and tells him as much later that evening.

"Imagine someone from the Kshahrewar being so willing to think creatively rather than focus on the past," she tells him without preamble once she finds him at the reception.

"Madam Faruzan?"

Narrowing her eyes, Faruzan watches as the fair-haired boy stumbles as he bows. He seems wan, overwhelmed, and definitely inebriated but hopefully not beyond thoughtful conversation.

Then again, she has also been told myriad times that her presence intimidates others.

"Thank you for your attendance," the boy says, suddenly formal as he visibly collects himself. "I didn't expect to see many of the Haravatat researchers here given the animosity between our two darshans."

His tongue seems loose, but not impotent. A perfect state for a good conversation.

"That animosity is due to the inability and feckless nature of your peers. But you will make no such mistake, will you researcher Kaveh?"

Squaring his shoulders, Kaveh shakes his head. "No Madam Faruzan I will not."

"Good! I would expect nothing less from a student who dares to take on his own darshan. I wish more Kshahrewar researchers had your lack of fear," she says. "They're the only darshan now that researches puzzle mechanisms at all and none of them seem interested."

She narrows her eyes and studies Kaveh more closely. "I don't suppose you would consider adjusting your studies?"

"I am an architect," Kaveh says, wrinkling his nose. "Although there will inevitably be overlap in designing buildings, especially if I am to expand well beyond the Building Blocks...I could use your expertise at these times."

Faruzan sniffs loudly and places her hands on her hips. "You plan to use modern puzzle mechanisms in your designs?"

"Yes!" Kaveh's eyes suddenly light up and he pulls a scrap of paper from the pocket of his Akademiya robes. "Here. These are the plans for a modernized palace. Underneath the eaves of the roof I'm going to install controllable cooling mechanisms using mist flower corollas and frosting essential oils. They'll be attached to an interior central hub so the owner can control the amount of cold air during Sumeru summers."