Chapter 2: Elliot

Nate Jacobs was in love

     Nate Jacobs was in love. He didn't know how it happened. He didn't know why it happened. But he could just feel it. And it felt so fucking good. But it was complicated. What was it about Sidonne Claremont that allowed Nate to fully surrender himself? With Maddie and Cassie, it was a game. Sid was the opposite.

     He knew he wasn't perfect. That he had some issues. But maybe the reason he had those issues was because Maddie and Cassie brought out the worst in him. And maybe if Sid and he had stayed together... she would've brought out the best in him. How could he ever have given her up? Underestimated her?

     She was everything you could ever want in a woman. He knew it was too late to say, but he could imagine spending his life with her. He was at home... and in love. She was intuitive and emotional. She was sensitive and vulnerable. She was a strong, powerful woman.

     Nate began to wonder if he had brain damage. How would he know? He knew he could do a better job than his dad. He wouldn't fuck his kid up the way his dad fucked him up. And the way his granddad fucked his dad up. Except his dad was such a fucking idiot. He couldn't even control himself. And had jeopardized everything their family worked for. Sometimes... he just wished that his dad would drop dead of a heart attack... and be free of him. But there's no point in fantasizing about a life with Sid when she knew about his dad and Maddy had that disc. What if he could go back to the beginning? What would he wish? Where would things go? Who would he be?

     It was the first day of school after the new year, and Rue and Sid had everything they'd ever wished for. Stable relationships, and great friends, all except that Rue wasn't sober, and Jules didn't know about it. Sid was standing next to Jules and Rue in the quad when a random guy came up to them. "Yo, Rue," he said, coming to a stop in front of her and her friends.

     "Hey," Rue replied with an irritated look on her face. "What's up?"

     "Hi," Sid spoke up, reaching out her hand to shake his. "I'm Sid, and this is Jules."

     "Sorry, this is Jules and Sid," Rue repeats.

     "Hey, I'm Elliot," he tells them. "Nice to meet you."

     After noticing that her hand is still in Elliot's, Sid is quick to pull away. "Sorry, introductions are, usually, very, um, overwhelming and debilitating for me," Rue says awkwardly, leaving a weird silence afterward.

     "Uh, so, how do you know Elliot?" Jules asks, breaking the silence.

     "We met on New Year's," Elliot explains when Rue doesn't talk.

     "Oh, shit, yeah," Rue laughs. "That was it, New Year's. That's... That's where we met."

     "Um, it was nice to meet you, and I'll see you later, guys," Jules told them before heading to class.

     Knowing Rue as long as Sid did, meant that she knew when Rue was lying, which was easy since Rue was a terrible liar. "What did you do?" Sid asked Rue skeptically once Jules walked away.