Chapter 76

Claire

I never imagined there would be so many different styles of wedding dresses, from simplistic to over the top and everything in between, the bridal store at Claremont mall carried a style to suit any bride to be. As I shuffled through a rack of heavy, white, puffy gowns I couldn't stop myself daydreaming that I was wearing one, walking down an aisle of rose covered petals to my devilishly sexy groom, Andy. 

My mind then wondered what life would be like, being married to Andy. The thought of sharing a house with him made me smile, our own space to do whatever we wanted, no rules or curfews. I bite down on my bottom lip when the realisation of what else that would mean, sex, whenever and wherever we pleased, not waiting until parents have gone out or having to be super quiet so we don't get caught out.

Claire Stephenson, it had a nice ring to it, Mrs Claire Stephenson, no, Dr Claire Stephenson but Andy's aunty is already Dr Stephenson, what if that got confusing? Alright, Dr Claire Lions-Stephenson, or should it be Stephenson-Lions? Maybe we could combine our names, to make a new one, like Lionson. 

I was so deep in my own thoughts that I didn't notice Bennu was standing beside me, trying to get my attention. She taps me on the arm and I jolt, embarrassed to be caught out when I should be sticking to my maid of honour duty of finding the actual bride her perfect gown.

"Sorry, I was..." I begin to explain but then take in the look of anguish on her face. I thought that this was supposed to be a time of excitement and joy for a bride but Bennu looks miserable. "Are you alright?" I ask her, taking her away from the wall of dresses. 

"My mother and Bridget will not stop bickering." She says sadly, pointing to the back of the store, where the two grown women are arguing over dresses that have been placed into a rack, ready for Bennu to try on. Anyone would assume that these two were picking the dress for themselves, the way they are carrying on. 

"What's the issue they're having?" I ask, hoping I might be able to jump in and help solve this dilemma. 

"My mother wants me to wear a dress that covers me from my neck to my feet." Bennu cringes as she explains. "And Bridget's dresses are all strapless, with some that will show a lot cleavage."

"What do you want Bennu, this is for your wedding day, not theirs." I ask her, wanting her to get exactly the dress her heart desires. 

"I want for my insides to stop hurting." She says, rubbing her hands over her lower abdomen. "Ever since we picked up my mother I've been feeling anxious, like I knew this would cause a fight and now my body is in pain because of their petty bickering." 

"I think we should take you to the hospital, this could be serious." I suggest, getting alarmed by what she's experiencing. 

"No." She says, holding her hand up to dismiss my worry. "I just need you to help me block them out."

"Well that's my job as your maid of honour, to make sure you're free from stress and able to enjoy your wedding day." I tell her, taking my role very seriously. I'd never been officially part of a wedding party before so I want Bennu and Ed's wedding to be a day they never forget but for all the right reasons, not because the two mothers can't bite their tongues and realise the day isn't about them. "Describe to me your perfect dress and together we will find it." I suggest. 

"I love that dress." She says, pointing to a a mannequin styled in a deep V-neck dress with a hellenistic skirt and a sash of sparkling beads that across the waistline that brings it all together beautifully. 

"Oh Bennu, that would look stunning on you." I compliment her and she blushes. 

"Do you think people will notice though?" She asks, bringing her hand across her stomach. "My mother says it will bring shame upon me if anyone discovers I'm pregnant before we are married."