Chapter 3

The next day came and at the crack of dawn, Dipper's door was swung open and was greeted with a loud ringing sound. Bill had burst in with a large bell in his hand, constantly ringing it to wake up his crew, the last one being their newest member.

"Up and at 'em, Pine Tree!" he exclaimed loudly once he burst into the room, "The Mindscape doesn't take care of itself, ya know?"

Immediately after hearing the loud sounds of the bell, he quickly covered his ears and tried not to scream from the sudden deafening sound that entered his room. It only took Bill a couple of seconds to notice Dipper's reaction to his wake-up call and stopped the ringing. "Hey, are you alright, Pine Tree?" he asked curiously.

Once he no longer heard the booming sound, Dipper opened his eyes and slowly uncovered his ears. He noticed Bill in his room, looking confused, and embarrassedly rubbed the back of his neck. "S- sorry," he apologized, "I guess I have sensitive hearing."

"Oh," Bill noted as he came to the realization, "Well, I guess you'll have to get used to it! Now, come on and join the rest of the crew on the deck!" He grinned at him proudly as he left the room, continuing to ring his bell.

Dipper winced and covered his ears again at the sound until Bill was far enough that it was faded. He sighed deeply and started his attempt to get out of bed. It took a few tries to stand up, but after falling so many times, he eventually gave in and just crawled his way to the nearest wall that he could cling onto. He was able to slowly climb his way to the deck, only finding out that once he got there, everyone had left to work on their chores.

On the deck, he was greeted by the captain, not looking very pleased, with his arms crossed. "Where have you been?" he asked coldly.

"I, um," Dipper nervously brushed his bangs out of his face, "I was getting up here?"

"You're late,"

"W- well, it's really hard to walk, and I- I'm not used to..." his dialogue started to fade as he couldn't think of what to say and sighed, "What use would I be anyway if I can't even get here on time?"

"Everyone on my crew is important," Bill declared strictly, "We all have a job to do, big or small."

Dipper tilted his head at him. "But when did I agree I'd do work here?"

Bill blinked, looking surprised. "Did this whole memory problem include short-term memory loss as well?" he asked, "Because as I recall clearly, we made a deal."

"The deal...?" Dipper tried to think of the deal he agreed to that he didn't fully understand.

"No one breaks a deal with me!" Bill shouted angrily, pulling his sword out and pointing close to the brunet's nose, "And no one stays on my ship with free rent. So if you want help getting your memories back, you will work."

Dipper froze, not daring to move a muscle as he stared at the sharp blade in front of him. "O-of course," he stuttered while giving a small nod, "I- I remember now, and of course, I wouldn't be here if I weren't helping."

Bill sent him a glare and lowered his sword. "Good. Now, you are correct that considering, your disability at the moment, you can't do much. But that doesn't mean I'll leave you alone." He grabbed ahold of Dipper's arms and brought him to the edge of the ship where the brunet could lean, on and the two got a good view of the endless ocean.

"Tell me, Pine Tree," he asked while staring at the horizon, "What do you think of the waters?"

Dipper looked his way and smiled softly. "I don't know what better way to say that I love it," he answered, "It is- I mean, feels like my home."