Chapter 1

I walked through the long halls of MIiddle borough high, I’m not used to it.

This school is so much larger than my old school.

We had to move to New Jersey, to a smaller house,

I knew we’re struggling financially, but I didn’t think it was such a big  problem that we have to move, but now I’m here, and I’m alone.

Not that I’m not used to being alone, it’s just… A different kind of alone, a ‘new kid’ kind of alone.

a loud chuckle stopped my thoughts, a few jocks gathered around another person,

the guy was wearing a big red hoodie with a bunch of patches on it and had huge white headphones around his neck.

“What’s wrong Mell? Scared we’ll see your creepy drawings?” One of the jocks laughed as he waved a sketchbook (that I’m assuming belongs to the red hoodie guy) in the air.

“Just give it back Jackson, it’s not funny.” The red hoodie guy replied as he tried reaching the sketchbook.

The jock, who’s apparently called Jackson pushed him back and opened the sketchbook “Ew! Are you drawing that twink Jeremy Heere?! Are you like gay for him or something?” The other jocks all laughed.

“Leave me alone.” The guy in the red hoodie snatched the sketchbook from Jackson's hands, this seems to annoy Jackson,

“Hold him” Jackson said to his goons,

they listened and held the red hoodie guy’s arms behind his back as Jackson took out a sharpie and wrote “GAY” in big bold letters on the front of red hoodie guy’s jacket.

The goons threw him on the floor and left laughing to themselves with Jackson in the front.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer" said the guy in the red hoodie as he got up.

"What?" I asked him,

"You're staring" The guy giggled "Don't worry, it washes off." 

"Oh.." I stuttered "That's... Good"

He extended his arm "I'm Michael" 

I shook it "Evan... I'm Evan... Hansen... Evan" 

Sometimes I surprise myself with how awkward I can be. 

"Well hi Evan Evan Hansen Evan" 

"That's not it." fuck.

"I'm joking, nice to meet you, Evan"

"Um... Thanks.." he seems nice... I think. 

A tall boy with brown hair stumbled toward us “Michael!” 

“Hey, Jere!” They did a handshake I can only assume is their ‘secret hand shake’

“Did you write that?!” the other boy gestured at Michael’s hoodie.

“Nope”

“Well, who did?!”

“Take a guess”

“Jackson?”

“Jackson.”

The tall boy sighed “I hate that guy!” 

“Don’t we all?” Michael nodded.

I watched them, and I don’t have anything to say, 

as I do in most social situations.

“Oh! Evan! This is Jeremy Heere! My best friend!” Michael gestured at Jeremy.

“Jeremy, this is Evan Hansen.”

Jeremy waved at me “Nice to meet  you…?”

I didn’t know how to reply to that.

Did he ask me if it’s nice to meet me?

If he asked me then the answer would probably be no, I don’t see how it’s nice to meet a person like me.

Apparently, I took too long to answer, and it was too late to reply, so I just stand there staring at him awkwardly,

which made him uncomfortable,

which made me even more uncomfortable which made the entire situation a lot more awkward and uncomfortable.

A loud ring cuts the tension between us, 

saved by the bell, literally.

I hurried off to my next class: Spanish.

(E/N: It's kind of short, I know, I'll try keep the story updated as much as I can though)