1 || Single

My mother left brusquely after making my bed. She must be pleased to have the embarrassment out of the house, as my hospitalization junior year tarnished the precious family name beyond easy redemption. The sick one. The head case. She told me to gain some weight. Get some thighs. Study well, Abby, She said.

Thanks, mom.

I curl up on my bed, the feather duvet fluffed up around me, and stare across the room at the bathroom scale. It's supposed to be used after every shower, not with clothes on, and just the look of it makes my stomach churn. The effect that an inanimate object can have on my psyche...

I reach for the welcome folder, skimming through maps and schedules and meetings. Bathroom arrangements: shared with room 304.

With boys. I saw them move in, an overweight (my polar opposite, ironically) boy and a soccer player. Well, I'm not sure he's a soccer player but his shirt had a soccer ball on it and the older boy with him had mentioned practice as they lugged overstuffed boxes down the hall. His brother, it must have been.

Cute, too. Both have that natural tousled brown hair, a loose lanky build, and glinting brown eyes. The elder brother noticed me with a nod, but my neighbour was too busy talking. I wonder i he ever stops. I've never shared a bathroom with a boy (fathers are different and my brother is still a child). What if he walks in while I shower?

What if he sees me?

The mirror is draped with the scarf I wore for moving in, and it won't be removed any time soon. I needn't be reminded that this emaciated figure is what I wanted; that the alternative is so much worse.

I stand and pick up my basket of bathroom essentials and my bathrobe. It's long and thick and entirely figure-hiding. I heard the boy—one at least—leave the room while talking on his phone. The coast is clear for now.
***
This is a SEQUEL/SPIN-OFF to Balconial Conversations. This is NOT Katherine this is ABBY. ITS MAINLY ABOUT GABRIEL not Cambriel. OK?

PS SHE HAS ANOREXIA PLEASE STOP COMPARING YOURSELVES TO HER OMG JUST STOP OR IF YOU CAN'T PLS DON'T COMMENT ABOUT IT (THIS IS FOR THE PEOPLE WHO SKIPPED MY TRIGGERING PSA)