The Whole Story

School had just started after the winter holidays. The children were excited to be back with their friends so they could tell them about their adventures during the break.

Crusher: *chuckles* I remember those days, back when school break seemed like an adventure. Being a Starfleet doctor, it doesn't seem so special anymore.

When Tina went into the classroom her friend Melanie was not there.

Geordi: What's to bet she's got that old Earth disease mentioned in the title?

Data: Inquiry -- why did the title describe a viral infection with the adjective "marvellous"?

Crusher: Well, this author was apparently of the opinion that getting measles was a good thing because it meant you could never catch it again.

Data: But surely if you wish to avoid being infected, then being infected would be quite antonymic of a desirable outcome.

Crusher: You'd think so, Data, but some ancient people were weird.

Tina was surprised as Melanie was always one of the first to get to school in the mornings. She must have slept in thought Tina, so she decided to save Melanie a seat next to her anyway.

Troi: Just like I used to do with my best friends at school.

There were two seats vacant beside Paula right in the front row where Melanie liked to sit.

Riker: So, Melanie's got a disease... why's the other student absent?

Picard: Your guess is as good as mine, number one.

The bell rang but still Melanie did not arrive. Mrs Spencer entered the room. The children were very happy to see her. 

Geordi: Oh, so Mrs. Spencer is one of those cool teachers, huh? Like Professor Pierce from the academy... he could make any subject funny.

"Good morning class," she said. "Good morning Mrs Spencer," the class replied all together. Mrs Spencer's tummy had grown a lot during the holidays. Her baby must be coming soon, Tina thought to herself.

Troi: *sentimentally* Oh, she's going to have a baby!

Crusher: *nostalgically* I still remember when my little Wesley was a baby.

Worf: I... never saw Alexander in his infancy.

Riker: I'm not the father... probably.

"I will call the roll to make sure everyone is here," Mrs Spencer said. The children each answered as their names were called. When Mrs Spencer called "Melanie," there was silence.

Geordi: Duh, that's what happens when someone's not there.

Then Mrs Spencer remembered that Melanie was reported to have caught the measles. She then told the class that Melanie was sick with the measles and would return in a few days. 

Geordi: Called it!

Crusher: Poor girl, I hope she's all right. Measles could be a very serious disease back when it existed.

"When it is time to do our craft work this afternoon, some of you might like to make Melanie a get well card," Mrs Spencer suggested.