09/04/2022

November 4th, 2022

Sundays at UVA usually mean having a mental breakdown over Monday's Chemistry lectures in the dorms with Mackie, but facetiming her is the best I can do when we're on opposite sides of the US.
During our 9:00 breakfast, I tell Aera about Mackie. She laughs when I giggle about our stupid antics— pushing each other in our rolling chairs down the hall (establishing it as a friendly weekly race between the second floor dorms) and driving to our local 7-eleven at ungodly hours of morning for snacks and large slushees— and she listens without judgment when I tell her how hard it was to part after seeing her everyday of our freshman year and that we both cried like babies before I entered the airport.
She asks the perfect amount of questions about college life too. I make sure to tell her all the best parts, and in return she tells me the best parts of living in Verona— endless food joints, clothing shops, beach trails, even fairgrounds not too far from our houses. I think she'll be a really good friend to have, especially after she says she and her friends would be happy to show me around.
I spend a lot longer at her place than I intend to and it's almost lunchtime when I leave. I end up grabbing my bag and working on chemistry notes at a nearby cafe, Cove Coffee. It's loud even for arriving at lunchtime but their wifi is better than my rental apartment anyway.
By the time Mackie and I were well into venting our respective frustrations of losing a rolling chair race and a confusing chem lecture, the cafe was near empty. I only had two people look at me funny when Mackie dramatically fake-cried about me finding "a new bestie."
It was easy to fool myself into thinking everything was normal until Mackie told me she had to get to the dining hall before the mashed potatoes were gone. She made me promise to get Aera on call next time.
In hindsight, a three hour time difference doesn't seem all that significant, but when she ended the call to get to dinner, it was only a little past three for me. Despite having been on call for over four hours, I miss her a little more than I did before.
~

      ~ ♡