THE DEMOTION

Emil was passing by the theatre and eyed a poster announcing a Picasso exhibition. He was immediately intrigued for he had never seen a painting by Picasso although he had a calendar with reproductions at home. Perhaps that was the reason why he decided to visit the exhibition that very afternoon.

The gallery was packed with visitors, mostly Spanish, as if the exhibition was in their country, not in a foreign one. Imagine what it would have been like if it was staged in Picasso's home country! No doubt that nation knows how to value their artists, unlike us. If we cherished them the way we killed them, today we would have marked a progress, may be even greater than the Spanish.

But what really amazed Emil was the fact that Picasso proved to be an exception from the rule according to which a man who was a genius from early age dies young. Picasso had started to paint when he was only eight and had lived a long life. Moreover, he had married his last wife at the age of eighty! Wasn't he a lucky man, although generally speaking the life men of genius lead might not be worth envying.

While having fixed his gaze on the pictures Emil was suddenly distracted by the rather noisy entry of a famous actor and his beloved woman. Their clothes might have emulated those of Picasso's in terms of eccentricity although hardly as far as the spirit was concerned. This was reiterated by their hasty walk by the exhibits and prompt exit. No doubt they were snobs who had come to the exhibition only to be seen and subsequently their presence to be covered by the media. So were a lot of the other visitors.

Emil, however, persisted in contemplating the pictures with an expression of admiration and having seen all thoroughly left the gallery satisfied with himself. He had not for a long time experienced such an aesthetic pleasure. No doubt he was sensitive to the influence of art which was a compliment for him. At the same time he knew that art did not mean much for many people, still they were happier than him!...

Emil made towards a bookstore where a lady acquaintance of him worked and he used to buy books from her quite frequently.

-Good evening, Zheni!

-May it be good for you, too.

-Look at you! You never miss a day.

-Well, being in good health...

-How are the sales?

-So-so, but still ok.

-Good for you! A central location is an advantage, is it not?

-Of course it is and an important one. Would I have taken the job if otherwise?

-Quite right! You are a smart girl!

-Have you had any doubts about it?

-Of course not!...By the way, can you recommend me a book about Picasso?

-Sorry, but nothing about him is available just now.

-Pity. I went to see an exhibition of his works earlier today.

-Oh, did you? I had never been to one.

-I hadn't either. He is inimitable! And the kind of quotes he left!... Here is the one I like best: "I do not paint what I see. I paint what passes in my thoughts".

-Amazing!

-He relied entirely on his imagination.

-All Spanish seem to be giants in that respect... especially Salvador Dali.

-Oh, he is formidable! And no less unique. I think he is at the top of extravagance, never mind that in one of his books he criticized Picasso for having introduced ugliness in art.

-So like a genius, to slander one another thus mutually promoting their publicity. Do you think they do it on purpose?

-I don't know. It might be. Take Voltaire and Rousseau. The insults they threw at each other were even worse, yet their burial places are in close proximity. Their fame is intransient meaning they derived wisdom from others of their own kind. So, nothing new on the horizon. Therefore I believe that as long as such people exist this will never change. Do you understand, Zheni?

-Yes, I do, Emil.

-As for our artists, they do the same, the difference being that however hard they try to kill each other like pigs, they will stop at national level and will never reach world fame. So, their barbarianism is in vain.

-Well, it can't be helped ... karma!

-Quite right! Apart from that how are you faring?

-At work all day long...

-That's good, but life is not work only.

-Of course it isn't.

-To be frank, you do look younger than ever.

-Are you kidding?

-No, I'm not.

-Stop pulling my leg!

-Aren't you unkind to yourself?

-This is me.

-You women know how to keep your good looks.

-Don't you men know, too? You've even excelled us in being vain.

-True. Still, I am of the opinion that whatever is given to you by nature shall always remain yours. It cannot be taken away from you, even with the odds of the sexes being deformed lately.

-Well, well! The expert you are at sweet talk!...

-I have only spoken the truth.

-Be it as you say.

-Now, Zheni, I have always had a liking for you and since I am in a very good mood today I invite you to join me for dinner.

-Oh, no, please.

-But why? We've had such a pleasant conversation and we can go on talking there.

-Thank you very much, but it's too much like committing oneself.

-Why should it be? I proposed it in earnest...

-I understand. But please, find someone else.

-I want you.

-Well, it's no good.

-I am very serious, indeed...

-I can't, do you hear me?

-In that very moment the bookstore owner entered.

-Zheni, what am I witnessing? I've been watching you for some time through the shop window. This man hasn't bought anything and I'm afraid he's pestering you. Shall I throw him out?

-Please, don't. He will leave out of his own accord.

-Why, Zheni. Let him throw me out. When he has had enough of you and finds a younger chick, he will ditch you and you will remember me as a soul mate. We will then make a match for sure.

-Don't be a complete fool!...With that deep soul of yours I can guess what kind of life together you and I will have! Are you thinking of yourself as a Picasso or Salvador Dali?

-Well, well, Zheni. Why are you demoting these two men to such a low position? For had I been like them I would not pick you even for a quickie.

-Go out, you jerk! – the owner hissed.

-And they saw him no more.