Chapter Twenty-six

"Silverdusk?" Appledawn asked, her mew barely above a whisper. "Are you Stormdawn?"

I almost let out a squeak. Then, ignoring all the stares of the cats everywhere, I turned and fled.

I was faster than everyone. Hiveclaw chased after me but I outpaced him, almost crying now. I didn't know why I was crying, but I knew no one was supposed to know.

I stopped deep in the heart of SeasonClan's forest territory, where everything was familiar. Finally, I stepped in front of the ancient grave of Froststar.

"Why?" I whispered. "Why did you reincarnate me? What is this all for? Why? Is there a point?"

My tears rolled down my cheeks and dripped onto her grave.

"Tell me," I whispered.

Froststar appeared. "Child," she whispered, "I cannot tell you why we brought you back, only you have an important destiny and you kept dying too soon. Silverdusk. Stormdawn. Whoever you are, whoever you were, you are and were too crazy. You sacrifice too much for the cats you love. Stop. It's ... we may even bring you back a third time, if anything happens."

Froststar took a deep breath. "These rogues ... they aren't nothing. Kill them. Get rid of them. Once you do that, Silverdusk, your way forward is clear. We will let you ascend to StarClan as Stormdawn, or you can live the rest of your life out as Silverdusk. With Hiveclaw."

That last option was enticing.

"Alright," I whispered, "I'll finish my destiny. I'll do what you want!"

"Good. I mean, thank you." Froststar spoke warmly. "You don't need to do this, but you are."

"I am," I nodded happily.

"Follow-up that," she said, "by having kits."

"Excuse me, WHAT" I said.

"One of them will have an important destiny," Froststar whispered, then vanished as a breeze blew by.

I was trying to figure that part out, when a SeasonClan cat came. The cat I wanted to see the least. It was Wheatpelt, and she had Silverykit and Stormykit with her.

"That," I meowed, turning to her, "Was a dead giveaway."

Wheatpelt smiled. "I know that. Stormdawn."

I shook my head. "Think what you want. My name is Silverdusk. Now, anyway. Leave me alone."

"But," said Wheatpelt, "one of my daughters is in your Clan."

"Fluffypaw is coming back," I said, smirking as I said the 'paw at the end. "After all, Hiveclaw ditched her."

Wheatpelt frowned.

I turned tail and ran. Back to the river. I needed to swim to get my mind off things. I avoided the Great Oak with the gathering area, and made it to the river quietly. Jumping in, I felt cold. The river was freezing! But soon, it provided the warmth I needed. I paddled around for a short while, relishing the warmth of the river. (For those who have swam before, you will understand)

"Silverdusk? Silverdusk! She's here!"

Twilightgleam and Hiveclaw came. They were looking incredibly relieved.

Twilightgleam smiled. "You just ran off! So, you are Stormdawn, huh?"

I nodded.