Chapter Twenty-nine

"We won," I meowed breathlessly.

Icestar nodded, wincing. "Everyone report casualties and deaths. From my group, Hollowmist and Emberblaze are dead, and Mothtail is in critical condition."

Emberblaze. That would hit Mothtail, Windbreeze and Blazespark. And Hollowmist's death would hit Lightmist and ... would it hit Swanflutter?

"No deaths from my group," Goldenwind reported. "However, Windbreeze is in shock."

"Glitterspark, Cloudysky and Leafshine are dead from my group," I reported. "I told you sending Leafshine was a bad idea. Appledawn is badly injured and Woodfur and Amberfire are ... slightly injured. Blazespark is quite in shock, but is keeping himself busy."

"Both of them?" Icestar meowed sorrowfully. "Those three kits are orphans now. And so many mated. Glitterspark can't bear Zealheart's kits anymore. Lightmist... she was planning to have a third litter. Since Tawnypaw is... apprenticed."

Oh, Tawnypaw. I'd forgotten about that annoying furball. I hadn't really seen her around camp anyway.

We got back to SeasonClan camp and Tawnypaw greeted us. "Where's my father?" she asked tautly.

"Dead," I replied.

Tawnypaw took a step back. "That's not true. It can't be. Mom's alone."

"She still has you, Duckstep and Fallowmist," I meowed.

"St-still!" Tawnypaw gasped. Oakbark came out of camp and put his tail around her shoulders. Did he like her? How could any cat like her? Oakbark wasn't the most sensible cat, but still.

Lilypool watched her only remaining brother, disgust glittering in her eyes.

Zealheart burst out of camp. "What about Glitterspark?" he demanded. "Glitterspark? Glitterspark!"

He had just caught sight of Glitterspark's body, carried between Woodfur and Amberfire.

Browntail's body was also carried, and Appledawn was severely injured and still crying. Songbird and Honeybee came out to help with the casualties. Emuwing and Cocoadust were also fatigued, and Blazespark was in shock, so the two were the only working medicine cats.

"We need to head back to the river cats," Minkfur announced. "Daisyleaf will need to see to our injured. Silverdusk, would you mind carrying Emberblaze?"

"Yeah, sure," I mumbled, bending down to pick up Emberblaze.

"Blazespark, Windbreeze, help Mothtail back to camp," Minkfur instructed. "That's all of us river cats."

Together, the six of us trudged back to camp. I couldn't wait to see Hiveclaw and Twilightgleam and tell them about our fight.

We got back, and the camp was eerily silent.

Poppyseed came out of the elders' den. "You're back!" she gasped.

And then the camp exploded with noise. Everyone came out of their dens and everyone welcomed us back. They quieted, though, once they caught sight of Emberblaze's body.

"My son!" whispered Darkmoon, moving over to him. "I already lost Brightgleam, why must you go too?" Brightgleam must've been his mate.

Hiveclaw moved over to his former mentor, but Darkmoon shooed him. "She's there," he hissed. "Your mate is there! Go to her."

I smiled as Hiveclaw ran over to me, beaming. "You're fine!" he gasped.

"I was a blur," I told him.

"She was fast. Told you," Windbreeze meowed.

Hiveclaw narrowed his eyes at Windbreeze. "She's mine," he scolded.

Windbreeze only grinned, then looked sadder as his father's body was laid in the clearing and his mother was carted off to the medicine den.