Chapter 3

Rarely, Leyra would spend a day or two holing up in her marui instead of out in the forest. It was most often because she was tired or sick, but sometimes just because she could.

Today, she opted to stay in her marui because Neteyam would assume that she would be out in the forest, and was likely going to try to find her. She was out of hiding spots that he wasn't aware of.

She had tried so hard her whole life to not be noticed, to not upset Mo'at more than her existence already had. She could not figure out why Neteyam was so watchful of her. She hadn't done anything wrong or worth his attention, so what was the reason?

The day was passing at a rate that made her want to bang her head against the ground. It felt like she could live a lifetime and only a minute would have passed.

First, she practiced her weaving, but then ran out of material. She didn't dare show her face to get more when so many Na'vi were out and about. Next, she braided her hair, then unbraided and re-braided it. Then the boredom really kicked in and she started counting the stitching in the marui's wall.

Her father was supposed to bring her lunch soon-- she could tell by hearing the complaints of the Na'vi outside that "lunch couldn't come sooner".

Except, it was not her father that walked in the entrance.

"Neteyam?"

"Hello, Leyra," the warrior greeted with a friendly smile, handing her a bowl of lunch. "I was looking for you all over, but then I figured you must be here. So, I brought you lunch."

"Oh... Thank you. My father normally brings me lunch when I stay home."

"I told him that I would bring it. My father wanted to discuss a few things with him about a nearby herd of Pa'li." He walked further into the marui, looking to make himself comfortable.

"Neteyam," she sounded a bit exasperated, standing from her hammock, "I appreciate you bringing me lunch, but-"

"Look, you don't have to be so tense about it. I just want to hang out. That okay?"

She hesitated, thinking: preferably, no. But she knew better than to be rude. Perhaps if she was nice, he would see that everything is fine with her and lose interest.

"Of course, Neteyam. Come. Sit."

They sat on woven stools near the marui's firepit and started eating.

Neteyam was overjoyed by her acceptance. He adored being in her presence and found her too interesting and unexpectedly kind to leave her alone.

"So, how was the forest today?" He had his bow across his back, so she knew he had just been out.

"Good. Though, it seemed to miss you quite a bit."

"What do you mean?"

"Toruk chased us on our ikrans today, and the palulukan was extra fierce. It appears to me that the forest is protesting your absence."

"That is a kind thought, but I don't believe for a second that the forest ever noticed me, let alone missed me."

"How could it not notice you?"

Again, he was pointing out her differences. Why had he even come?

Neteyam figured he was doing great with his flirting. "Would you like to go on an ikran ride? The ocean looks beautiful at midday."

How awkward. "Well, warrior boy, I wouldn't be able to do that, now would I?"

His eyebrows furrowed at her attitude. "And why not?"

"It was your grandmother that forbid me from ikran bonding journeys, do not act like you don't know. Do not rub it in."

"What? Why would she do that?"

"She said I would never earn it. That I'm not worth risking lives on the journey."

"What?" He was dumbfounded. Is this how she thought of him and his family? As people who forbade her from freedom?

She merely scoffed in response, unbelieving that he honestly was unaware.

"Well, there must be a reason. Perhaps she thought you would not be able to win the fight-- no offense."

"Oh, no, no. She smade it very publicly clear that it was because Eywa had cursed me with my skin."

He could not believe it. Had his grandmother really done such a thing? He knew that everyone thought poor of her, that she was treated unkindly, but being banned from an Omatikaya tradition? And then something clicked in his head, why he had met everyone else but never her.

"You're not allowed at the Tree of Souls either, are you?"

She was silent for some time, processing his sincerity. "No."

"Oh, Eywa, I must speak to Grandmother about this. That must have been the old ways when my father was still considered a demon when she made that decision. She probably simply forgot to change it. I'll-"

He stood, and she stood with him.

"No, no! My father will end me if I make a ruckus about this. I'm not even supposed to be engaging with you like this, mister stupidly-charming-son-of-the-Olo'ektan!"

His heart fluttered, she thinks I'm charming? No. Focus.

"Seriously, Leyra. You deserve to meet your ancestors. And to fly above the treetops, not to hide in them."

To be honest, she had never wanted to visit the Tree of Souls. She was too afraid of bringing shame to her ancestors' hearts.

"No, Neteyam. Respectfully, you have no business meddling in something you know so little about." Her tone was severe, and he could sense her desperation.

He winced. "Okay, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you, I was only trying to help."

She sighed, irritated by the drama. "I know, I know. And thank you. But I didn't ask you to."

"I know, too. I really am sorry." He pursed his lips in frustration and pulled at the hairs on the back of his head. "Would you... want to eat lunch with me tomorrow as well? I promise not to be a sxkawng again."

Why wouldn't he just leave her alone? "Of course, if it's what you want."

"Yes, please."