Sins of Our Fathers, Chapter 3- My boy

"Will you explain, or should I?" Asked Noble with a stern voice.

"You had to investigate. I'm surprised you didn't just remember it all, eidetic memories are usually pretty good at that sort of thing." Replied the old man.

"I can't remember things I haven't seen; my mind is eidetic, not psychic." Said I, in annoyance. "Now give me your side of the story before I give mine."

"... It was in the fall of nineteen-ninety-two, your father had been caught up at work and just phoned your mother to tell her that he couldn't make it here, to their vacation home. Your mother had been having an affair on your father with me and I had asked her to 'run away' with me. Sure enough I got my answer. 'I just got off the phone with Clarence, he said he won't be coming. Something to do with work.' Said she, as she came from the kitchen, into the siting room, and onto the couch.

"'And the twins?' I asked, as I sat next to her.

"'Both are asleep. As for the governess I told her she could retire to her room for the night...... I can't.'

"'Guess that means small talk's over.'

"'I'm serious!' She snapped. 'I have a husband and children, William and Annie need a mother. It was never God's will that man should raise children alone.'

"'I think we threw 'God's will' out the window quite a while ago. If we're going by your logic, we should've never done what we did in the first place!'

"'Well maybe we shouldn't have. How could we put our needs ahead of their's? It was selfish of me and I regret it.'

"'So what, we should just act like nothing ever happened?'

"'No. I'm going to tell Clarence and beg for forgiveness. Relationships must be built on honesty. How can I expect him to trust me, if I withhold the truth?'

"'Oh, I don't think there'll be much trust going on after this!' As I spoke she got up to leave but, I quickly grabbed her by the arm and jerked her back. She broke away from my grip, then tripped and fell to the ground. I picked her up by her shoulders and shook her about a bit, shouted abusives, and struck her with my hand. She collapsed upon the ground and I kneeled beside her to check on her. I tried to find her pulse but, I couldn't.

"My heart sank, but I couldn't let it out. Clarence would learn of what we did and I couldn't have that. So I took my dagger and stabbed her to ensure death and began removing the floorboards to place your mother there. I called upon you, Annie, and the governess and told you that your mother had went missing. The governess then called the police and filed a missing persons report, but not much investigating was done. Luckily for me, your father didn't want to come back after learning that it was here, where she had gone missing."

"And the governess, she didn't suspect you?" Noble interjected.

"Well of course she did, but she was in love with your father, and therefore despised your mother."

"Are you trying to tell me that both of my parents were cheating on each other!?" As he spoke a rage engulfed Noble's eyes. He had a bad temper, always had but this time he was clearly hurt.

"No, that's not what I'm saying at all. She loved your father, doesn't mean the feeling was mutual."

Noble stood from his seat and began pacing up and down the room. "Why would the governess call the police but not care to tell the police, you had done it?"

"William, she hated your mother, but that didn't make her stupid. It's the same reason I let her. To avert suspicion."

"Fine, the note?" Asked Noble.