Case one- Sins of our fathers

Chapter 1

Noble froze as he heard the creaking of the floorboard under his foot. "O God...."He thought, as he fought back the tears. He knelt down and slid his fingers under the squeaky board, then lifted to find a horrid sight. He quickly tossed the board to the side, and picked up the skull lying in the hole he had just uncovered.

"William?" Annie asked, as she walked into the sitting room, to find her brother.....

One week earlier, Noble stood at his office window, as he looked out upon the thousands of Londoners in the street. He took the cigar, lying on his desk, lit it, and watched as the smoke curled up to the ceiling. He lost himself in his own thoughts.... Pondering over the meeting he had with the prime minister just last week.

"Mr. Noble........ Mr. Noble?" The voice of his PA, Cassandra Hope, suddenly crashed in on his thoughts. "Your sister's here to see you sir."

"Thank you Cassandra." He said in a cool tone, as he smiled at the two of them standing in the doorframe. She took her leave and closed the door, leaving the two of them to themselves.

"Caught up in thought again I see." A grin crept across her face as she spoke.

"I'm busy."

"O come now! Don't you have even a second?"

He gave her a questioning look, as he put out his cigar, laid it in the ashtray, and crossed his arms. "I have work, so make it quick."

"If by work you mean, sit at your desk while Cassy rearranges your schedule, then yes..... You do!" She snapped back.
He glared at her.
"Come on. You know I'm only teasing." She said with a playful smile.

Noble chuckled. "Go on."

"We haven't been to the manor in a while....."

"So?"

"So we should go!"

"We haven't been since we were children..."

"Exactly my point! Think about it just the three of us, in the country, out near the lake...... A chance to get out of this stuffy city..."

"It does sound nice...... Wait three?"

"Well Bennett of course." Said she looking at him curiously. "You seem distracted. Everything alright?"

"Fine. But I can't."

"Can't?"

"I have things to do, and places to be. I haven't the time."

Annoyed, Annie crossed her arms and pouted. "Please?" She asked behind big puppy dog eyes.

Noble let out a sigh. One of relief, but he'd never tell her that. "Cassandra!"

"Yes sir?" She asked as she opened the door to his office.

"Clear my schedule. I'll be gone this week. You may also have the week off."
The girls smiled and looked at each other. Their faces, bright as the morning sun.

* * *

Noble was relieved when he saw the great manor looming over him, as his cab pulled up the driveway. It was a large, and ancient stone building. It had been in the family since it was built. In fact, it was his great, great, great, grandmother who it was built for. Noble exited the cab, while Bennett paid the cabbie. The boys then walked up the stairs to the manor with luggage in all hands. While Annie stood at the door waiting for them both. She had came ahead of them, as to prepare the place.
"Let me help you." She said, smiling at Bennett, as she took some of the luggage from his hands.