munky x oc (part 1)

set in 1998

I looked at my watch impatiently. Korn would be playing any minute now.

A recent band that no one knew of called Soulfly had opened for Korn, and I had to admit they were pretty good. It was the second opener which meant that it was time for the reason I bought tickets.

I stood at the front waiting for my friend Katye, we had been waiting for months for this concert and it was finally happening. Tapping the railing that separated the crowd and the band, I looked around at the swarming bodies. Of course, we had to get front row, to get as close as possible to the guys in the band.

It feels unreal how everyone at concerts had one thing in common: the love for the same artist.

Snapping out of my daydream, Katye came back to her spot which I had been saving since she took her bathroom break. Once she took a few steps forward towards me she tripped on nothing and almost fell. Which she then responded by giggling with a giant smile showing her bottom crooked teeth.

"Look at what a girl in the bathroom gave me!"

I looked down at her open palm, a small bag wrapped around a familiar green substance.

"She gave you that for free?" I said raising my eyebrows in surprise.

"Yup. And believe me, I'm gonna make a good use out of it." She said as she took out a cigarette and started emptying it.

I snatched the bag and put it in my purse as she complained. "Listen Katye, we can do this later if you want but Korn is going on stage soon and we need to be focused." Some people shouldered and shoved us as they tried getting our spaces but we didn't budge.

"You're right, you're right, I need to get a good view of David." Katye nodded. "Do you think he'll be shirtless tonight?" She said while looking dreamingly at the mounted drumkit on stage.  I couldn't help but giggle at her comment.

"I would assume so, isn't he shirtless at every show?"

"Boy if I looked like him I wouldn't wear a shirt either." She said truthfully.

Just as Katye said that, the lights in the venue turned off. Only the stage lights were on now. Everyone cheered as they knew the show was about to begin. I tried looking at the side of the stage to see if I could distinguish anyone, but the lights were too dark.

I grabbed the railing in anticipation, waiting for any kind of sign that the band was actually here. I looked directly in front of me where a series of pedals where strategically ordered.

Suddenly, a humming noise interrupted my thoughts, the intro to It's On.

David stepped on stage and sat in front of his drum kit (he was indeed shirtless), and everyone cheered as he did so.

I looked over at Katye as she jumped up and down in excitement. We both cheered as I took it all in. We were seeing Korn. Live.

My legs felt like jelly.

Then Head stepped on stage followed by Fieldy from the left side, and then Munky finally emerged from the right side of the stage.

I held the railing as I cheered loudly. I had taken the good spot in the pit, Munky's side of the stage.

Munky was wearing a white jumpsuit. He always wore jumpsuits for shows which I found really cool. His hood was up so you could barely see his face. But his blonde dreads fell out of the hood easily.

Head and Munky both started playing the guitar riffs in the intro, while looking at the crowd intensely. Fieldy plucked the strings in his bass while holding it vertically.