track II | "first day of my life"

"𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 | 𝐒𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐫𝐧 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐨𝐫𝐰𝐚𝐲."

✥ ✥ ✥ ✥ ✥

SHE woke up with a smile on her face. Laurie loved the atmosphere of school, that is, the social aspect. She was a social butterfly, every place she went, and in school she fluttered along the hallways, stopping at different students and teachers, as a monarch would stop to pollenate her flowers.

Bella, however, woke up with a nervous flutter in her stomach. She was the opposite of her sister, wherever she went, a disaster seemed to follow. She was scared, but she understood that moving to a new school, especially in a town as small as Forks, meant that there was an opportunity to change how people looked at her. In fact, she was determined to become more like her sister. And so, despite the most grueling efforts of the negative thoughts that raced through her head, she got out of her warm bed and got ready for the day.

As the brisk air and drizzling rain tapped the windows of their small home, the siblings got prepared for the day ahead, they ended up in a bit of an quarrel, specifically over the single bathroom in their new home. Quietly humming, Laurie dressed herself in a, of a billowy white babydoll dress, red kitten heels, and dainty gold earrings that were a Christmas gift from Renée and Phil. As to not disturb Bella in the occupied bathroom, Laurie decided to leave her face free of makeup, and leaving her chestnut locks to fall naturally against the frame of her face, she stopped to look in the mirror once, and with a smile, strolled downstairs to the kitchen, where she poured herself a bowl of Cheerios, leaving the box out for both her sister and father. Looking down as she read the morning newspaper, she heard Charlie's heavy footsteps, and, greeting him with a playful smile, Laurie said in an embarrassing imitation of his deep voice, "Chief Swan reporting for duty." Laughing in response, Charlie ruffled his daughter's hair and walked over to the box of cereal to pour himself a bowl.

Not too soon after her father entered the room, Bella Swan joined her family, and to the surprise of everyone, wore a beautiful, but rare, smile. Laurie, concerned with her sister's change in demeanor, whispered to Charlie, "You better call for backup. Something is wrong with your daughter's face." Rolling her eyes as she walked passed her twin, Bella scoffed, "I'm actually going to hurt you." Wide-eyed, Laurie retorted "Dad, can you arrest her for attempted assault?"

The pair continued their playful banter until they left to go to school, choosing to ride together in Bella's new rusted red truck, and after a short ride, they arrived at Forks High. Upon their entrance, quite a few heads turned, and in an attempt to avoid any attention, Bella's previously worn smile was wiped straight off of her face. Unlike her sister, Laurie basked in the attention, opening the passenger car door, and exiting in the same fashion as a cliché popular girl in a rom-com would. In normal-Laurie-nature, she held her head high, smiling with confidence, and waved to each of the students that she passed, taking note of the few she recognized from her various summertime visits to Forks. As she began to walk inside, she saw a curiously eager blonde-haired boy stroll towards Bella and her, and smiling, he, quite overconfidently asked, "You guys are the Swan twins; Isabella and Laurie?" In a distinct voice, Laurie answered for the pair, "Yes," and pointing to her sister, she said,"but she'd much rather be called Bella." The boy responded, ' I'm Mike,' and with a smile, both sisters engaged in a small conversation with the boy, mostly about the weather in Arizona in comparison to the rainy town that they currently resided. Glancing down at her watch, Laurie cut their conversation short, and pulling her sister along, the siblings entered the main office, where a kind eyed secretary offered each of the girls their schedules, asking that they get each of their teachers' signatures, and in a peppy voice, wished the pair a "wonderful first day."