Chapter 1: Bridgeton

Two square miles, one-thousand residents, absolutely nothing to do. Bridgeton was a town meant for transit. It was built next to a state highway that led to a bridge. Following the highway over the bridge would drop a person off near the downtown of a city most people didn't know existed. This made Bridgeton a commuter town where most of the commuters lived somewhere else.

Kids who grew up in Bridgeton usually went to the town elementary-middle school. Kindergarten through eighth grade in the same building. From there they could go to Bridgeton High, or they could go anywhere else and possibly escape. For the youth the main hobby was walking. They could walk to one of three churches in town: Catholic, Anglican, and Orthodox. Catholic for the employees, Anglican for the managers, and Orthodox for the newly settled.

The town's basketball team was doing unusually well that winter: they had slightly more wins than losses. The town library had every flavor of airport novel. There were two restaurants: one that made its money when school let out, and one that made its money when work let out.

The post office was usually empty, and the bank had inflexible hours. Citizens voted and attended town meetings at rates above the national average. It was something to do.

Sometimes a person living in Bridgeton would kill their spouse or embezzle money from the town. Once the issue was resolved things returned to normal. Sometimes the old people would joke about no one having pattern recognition.

It was a town no one expected anything from, and it was about to be possessed.