Chapter 22: Frustration

Peter stood at the top of the key and threw foul shots like a man possessed. Behind him Daumantas was pacing back and forth.

"Tonight was a complete failure," the saint murmured.

"How was I supposed to know she could do that? You didn't even know."

"I knew they were dangerous, so I didn't give them the chance to spit on me. Who was that woman who popped into your head?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Tell me. A warrior should know their own weaknesses."

Peter's shot bricked and the ball fell back to the floor, tap tap tapped, and then rolled away.

"Alla Pugacheva," Peter mumbled.

"She's very good at singing, but you let her get between you and your quarry."

"I'm not concerned."

"No?"

"I have a face now. Soon I'll have a name. If she comes to school I'll catch her, and if she tries to run then her parents will file her as missing. The police will find her."

Daumantas was silent for a moment. Peter had given him the basic run down on modern law enforcement and communication, but it was still a hard concept for a man from the 13th century to grasp.

Peter threw a few more free throws, but most of them missed. He took a long drink of water. "Something has been bothering me. Do you know what she meant by the town angel?"

"Places have guardian spirits. A place as small as this would likely have only a minor angel keeping watch."

"Could he be feeding her?"

"Not likely. The highest demons are fallen angels. The angels who associate with demons risk falling. He would have to be weak willed."

"I just don't know why she would confess to feeding on my mother but not to the other incidents."

Daumantas sat on the bleachers with his long legs stretched out. "You can't trust what she says, but let's assume for a moment that she was telling the truth. That would mean there is a second demon hiding in Bridgeton."

"Is that impossible?"

Daumantas thought for a moment. "No, it isn't. It would make our task much more difficult. You'll have to widen your net, try and see if anyone else has changed."

"I'll keep the sword with me from now on, as much as I can."

Finding the demon that night had been dumb luck. As Peter passed the girl on the curb he had been shocked to see a pair of horns appear. They disappeared once he put some distance between them. Circling back around his suspicion was proven true. The sword made her look more demonic.

The conversation was interrupted by the gym door opening. Daumantas kept quiet as the teacher from the other night walked in.

"Hey Peter," she called across the gym. "Can you spare a ball?"

"Sure Miss. Kim." Peter tossed a basketball across the gym. She caught it and let it roll across her arm and behind her head into the other hand.

Peter watched her warm up out of the corner of his eye. She began with some simple stretches: splits both ways, bending backward and putting her palms on the floor, putting her foot on her head. Miss. Kim did a few handstand pushups then began taking shots. Nobody should have been able to move like that. Professional athletes didn't move like that for fear of tearing something. A suspicion began to form in Peter's mind.

Peter pretended to check his phone. He grunted as though time had gotten away from him. With his duffel bag slung across one shoulder he headed for the exit.

"See you tomorrow," he said as he passed June.

"See you then," she said with a smile.

Peter did his best to keep his face blank. Four horns had appeared on June's head. Their eyes met and Peter saw Vlad's people on stakes and Khwarazmians being trampled by horses. Jungles burst into flames as an F-100 roared overhead, and artillery gave cities the chance to start over. She turned away and jumped twice her height to dunk the ball. The plexiglass backboard turned into spider webs.

Out in the hallway Peter nearly ran toward the exit. He had never wanted to leave school so badly. Daumantas was hot on his heels. Peter did not dare speak to Daumantas until school was a few blocks behind him.

"Was that our second succubus? She felt completely different," Peter said.

"That was something much worse. You cannot stand against her so do not try. I do not know why she would be here. That kind of demon does not feed on humans the way a succubus would."

"It probably has something to do with the succubus."

"Yes, but I don't know what."

Daumantas sounded frustrated. Peter could sympathize. They'd come so close only for a dozen problems to get in their way. Peter kicked himself for not finishing the girl off when he had the chance. She was young, but the town was at risk. Every exhausted person Peter saw was his responsibility.

"We are not beaten yet. Those who walk the righteous path should not fear defeat."

Peter scoffed. "I don't fear defeat. The thing that scares me is in that gym shooting free throws."