Chapter 9 - The Gaunt Ring

Harry and Hermione stepped out onto the snow-covered Astronomy Tower rampart, shivering as the icy night wind cut through the thin fabric of the invisibility cloak draped over them.

"Watch it," Harry warned, as Hermione accidentally prodded him in the back with his firebolt as they shed the cloak.

"Sorry, there wasn't much space," she said, handing him the broom. Her hands now empty, she quickly shoved them into the pockets of her olive green cargo trousers.

"You remembered the fang?" Hermione asked.

"Right here," Harry said, patting one of the Basilisk fangs they had retrieved earlier from the Chamber of Secrets through his coat pocket. The coat's lined denim would hopefully keep him warm and prevent him from impaling himself on the fang.

"And you have your notebook?"

Hermione nodded. "It's in my jacket pocket," she said. "We're all ready."

Throwing a leg over his Firebolt, Harry mounted the broom and scooted forward to make room for Hermione. She got on behind him, throwing the invisibility cloak back over them as she did.

Hermione wrapped her arms around Harry's waist, pulling herself closer to him, her warmth seeping through the back of his jacket.

They pushed off the rampart, kicking up a shower of snow flurries as the firebolt rapidly gained altitude. The invisibility cloak fluttered around Harry and Hermione's feet as they cruised high over the castle walls and out across the Hogwarts grounds.

"Let me know once we exit the grounds," Harry said, raising his voice slightly to be heard over the whistling in his ears.

He felt her nod against his back. "I will, just a few more minutes," she confirmed.

Far below them, the Black Lake's surface shimmered in the moonlight as they sped toward the Forbidden Forest. They skimmed the forest's treetops, the dense canopy rushing past them as Hogwarts Castle dwindled in the distance.

Suddenly, as they ascended over a small ridge, Harry felt the Firebolt shudder momentarily.

"Did we just exit the grounds?"

"I'm fairly certain we did," Hermione said. "We should start looking for a place to land."

"Wait, we won't have problems passing back through the enchantments, right?" Harry asked, apprehension creeping into his voice.

Hermione shook her head. "Unlikely," she said. "It wasn't until our Sixth year that the defenses were drastically increased, so I don't think we should have any issues."

With his worry alleviated, Harry continued looking for a suitable place to land. Spotting a nearby clearing below, he began gradually descending in a roughly circular pattern.

A minute later, Harry and Hermione touched down in the clearing and dismounted.

"We'll leave the broom and cloak here," Harry said, as he took the invisibility cloak off them.

He walked to the edge of the clearing and laid the Firebolt in a pocket of snow. Making a mental note of its location, he draped the cloak over the broom and walked back to Hermione.

Reaching into the pocket of her bomber jacket, she pulled out her wand and held it ready at her side.

"You apparate there since you know where the shack is," Hermione said. "I'll apparate us back once we're done."

"Good plan," Harry agreed. He extended his hand to her as he took out his own wand. "Ready?"

Her hand brushed again his.