𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱.

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱.
trial's sad end
006.

      ❝ "...KAEDE IS the culprit." It wasn't Kaede who said it. Shuichi spoke, and he spoke so surely that Tao's world paused. Kaede?

"Huh!?" The first response came from Keebo who was utterly confused.

And now it was Kaede's turn to be quiet.

"Kaede... did it?" Gonta's eyes go wide as he gawked.

"W-Wait, that's not possible! Right Kaede!?" Tenko demanded, looking to Kaede to deny it but... "K-Kaede...?"

The blonde said nothing.

"Wait... did she really─?" Tsumugi went pale with wide eyes.

"Why don't you tell me, Shuichi? How did I kill Rantaro?" Kaede requested, eyes set on the detective.

"Yeah, how!? You and Kaede were together the whole time, weren't you!?" Kaito demanded. He too had gone pale, unable to accept this new reality they'd been hit with.

"How Kaede killed Rantaro with the shot put ball... should become clear when you consider where she used it." Shuichi informed. "Kaede didn't use the shot put ball at the scene of the crime... she used it at the 1st floor classroom, where we were keeping watch!"

"Hold up. How could she have hit Rantaro with a shot from a different floor?" Ryoma demanded, for the first time in the trial, he was lost.

"...She rolled it." Shuichi answered. "She rolled the shot from the 1st floor classroom and hit Rantaro. It's possible. If you do it at the right spot in the classroom, it will reach the library. The classroom's vent. If you were to roll the shot in there, it would reach the library."

"I see... that air duct connects the classroom to the library." Maki nods, taking in the logic of Shuichi's words.

"So, the shot is rolled into the vent, passes through the duct... and comes out the air vent about the library bookcase." Shuichi states.

"But how could she have hit Rantaro from all the way over there!? The air duct is nowhere near where he died!" Tenko protested.

"The culprit set it up that way intentionally. The shot rolled along the top of the bookcase and fell on Rantaro's head." Shuichi states, holding up a hand.

"It rolled... along the bookcase!?" Kaito repeats.

"...But how would the shot have rolled that conveniently?" Ryoma asked, eyebrows pinched in confusion.