20 | The Kidnapping of Persephone

Emerald's POV

Everyone went frantic around me and I zone out, their figures a blur in my vision as I thought of the future. How could I forget that all eyes were on me?

We were out in the parking lot, surrounded by bodyguards. Charm's phone was ringing continuously while some staff were looking at me, curious and perhaps wondering why I was not moving when I was already out of the car.

How could I move? I felt weak. I felt like one more step and I will collapse.

The bliss was now a distant memory followed by the fear that I was going to be burned on a stake for dating the future King of Sweden. I knew the royals have a hard time when it comes to dating and now, it's out. I am not ready.

"Em? Emeralda? Emeralda!" Axel shook me out of my thoughts and back to reality. His grip was hard against my shoulders, his eyes bore the clear worry he has for me.

"Are you okay? Do you need anything? Water?" One question to the other, he waited for me to form just one word but I could barely talk. I could barely breathe.

"Em?"

"I... I..." My brother is mad. The whole company is being bombarded by paparazzi and my employees are probably getting ambushed by questions. I was overwhelmed. A heavy responsibility settled in my stomach.

"Shit! Come on, Em. Get yourself together. Em. Em..." He cursed once more. I can't talk. I felt like a fish out of the water; gaping and breathing hard, trying to survive in the land. My heart was racing and my palms began to feel sweaty.

"Charm, give me a glass of water. Men surround the building. No reporter should come inside the premises." He began to bark, taking responsibility for me. The state of shock made me freeze in place, my mind traveling a thousand miles and still ending up with nothing to say.

"Emeralda? Come on. I will take you to your office, okay?" He began to hold my hand but I snapped out and shook my head.

"N-no... No! They can't see me like this. I don't want anyone to see me." I took a step back from him. I rubbed my forehead, an incoming headache already making my head throb in a slight painful beat.

"They won't. We'll use your other passageway. The hallway going to your office has already been vacated so no one can see you there." He slowly approached me, his eyes calm and cautious.

"No one outside this group should have known. I don't want it out yet." A traitorous tear slipped out and streaked my cheek.

"I know, Emerald... and I am sorry. I should have protected you better." His eyes were cast down while he apologized.

"But I can protect you still. I promise. We will sort this out, okay?" He took a step closer to me. I sniffed and wiped the tears trying to spill from me.

"That's it. Be strong. No headline can bring you down. You hear me?" He closed the distance between us. I nodded and sniffed again. He took out a dark blue napkin from his suit pocket and gave it to me. He opened his suit jacket and covered me from the eyes of spectators in the parking lot while I blew my nose.

"Thank you." I whispered and I heard him hum.

"You feeling better?" He asked, taking a step back while fixing his suit.

"A little..."

He went back to my car and rummaged around the compartment and the back seat before he emerged holding a pair of sunglasses I kept in the car in case of emergencies.