Ch. 17 Unravel

As Jade walks off, you carefully move over to Floyd who appears to be watching something on his phone. Sidled up next to him you peer down at his phone to see what looks like a Magicam stream. While shaky and disjointed you can hear what sounds like the voices of Jamil and Azul mid confrontation. Your eyes widen in surprise and meet Floyd's, in question, "Should we go help them?"

Floyd just shakes his head then proceeds to turn his phone up to full volume, drawing the attention of the other Scarabia students...

~~~~

"No offense, but I can't let you people stay in Scarabia any longer. It's time you went back under the sea." Jamil said scornfully.

"Pardon? Where is this coming from, Jamil? Have I done something to offend you?" Azul asks in a concerned voice. Confusion at this sudden turn to an uncomfortable mood that has taken over this interaction.

"You really don't get it? Does the sad look on my face mean nothing to you?" Jamil questions, his face a perfect picture of sadness, of melancholy.

"What...?" Azul meets Jamil's gaze in confusion

"...You made eye contact with me. Fool." Jamil's expression turns conniving, one of satisfaction to have ensnared another too trusting foe. "The one you behold is your master. When I ask you a question, you will answer. When I give you a command, you will assent. Snake Charmer."

Azul doubles over in pain, hands grasping at his head as his mind throbs in agony. "What?! Gh... My head! Rgh..." Saliva spittles out of the side of Azul's mouth as he wrestles for control of his mind.

Jamil continues with his spell, pushing against the boundaries of Azul's mind to force him to submit. "The pain will last as long as you resist. The sooner you give in and submit, the easier it will be for you. Go on, I'm waiting."

Azul gasps in pain as he continues to fight "Rrrgh... Urgh..."

Azul lets out one last gasp of pain before his features take on a placid calmness, Jamil finally addressing him. "Azul, who is your master?"

"My master is..." Azul begins, his voice somewhat rough from the previous groans of pain but slowly smoothing out to his usual even tone. "...You, O mighty Jamil. I await your command, Master."

Jamil, a demented and gleeful visage, laughs like some evil storybook villain. "Heh... Ha ha... Ha ha ha ha ha! You thought I was a mediocre magician, but you were sorely mistaken — an embarrassing misjudgment for the housewarden of Octavinelle. But really... Because of you, all my carefully laid plans have gone up in smoke. All I needed was a little more nudging from the Ramshackle visitors, and the students would have kicked Kalim out. It was my way of getting Kalim ejected from his position without getting my own hands dirty. Do you have any idea how much painstaking effort I put into laying the groundwork for that?" Jamil continues to angrily complain of all his ruined plans. "First, you're going to take the twins and go home to the Coral Sea... Wait hold on. Azul. You returned all your contractually stolen powers back to their original owners recently, right?"

Azul stares at Jamil, answering in his calm even tone. "Yes, Master."

"Tch. So much for using you as my own personal genie of the Lamp." Jamil scoffs in annoyance. "Your signature spell is quite a valuable asset... But it would be hard to keep you controlled long-term."

"Sir. I remember the contents of the contracts." Azul offers

"What?" Jamil questions

"I remember all the secrets of the people I made contracts with. Their troubles. Their weaknesses. Their desires." Azul explains.