Devil's Trap

My name was Vanessa "Ness" Singer. I was Bobby's daughter, and also a hunter that actually had a home and a job at a bar as a bartender in a town called Sioux Falls, South Dakota. I had known Sam and Dean Winchester since forever.

And I would stop at nothing to protect them and my dad.

And that included when Sam and Dean showed up on our front doorstep asking for help because a demon named Meg had taken their father John.

Dad and Sam were sitting at the desk, going through the books.

I picked up two round silver flasks with crosses on them, handing one to Dean. "Here you go."

"What is this, holy water?" Dean asked.

"That one is," I answered, holding out the other flask. "This is whiskey."

I took a drink of whiskey, handing it to Dean.

Dean took it, looking at me as he took a drink. "Ness, Bobby, thanks. Thanks for everything. To tell you the truth, I wasn't sure we should come."

"Nonsense," Dad told him. "Your Daddy needs help."

"Well, yeah, but last time we saw you, I mean, you did threaten to blast him full of buckshot," Dean told him. "Cocked the shotgun and everything."

I couldn't help a light laugh, remembering.

"Yeah, well, what can I say?" Dad asked. "John just has that effect on people."

"Yeah, I guess he does," Dean agreed.

"None of that matters now," I told them. "All that matters is that you get him back."

"Bobby, this book..." Sam trailed off. "I've never seen anything like it."

Dad looked up. "Key of Solomon? It's the real deal, all right."

"And these, uh, these protective circles," Sam told us. "They really work?"

"Hell, yeah," Dad answered. "You get a demon in, they're trapped. Powerless. It's like a satanic roach motel."

Sam chuckled.

I walked closer to them. "Man knows his stuff. Where you guys think I get it all? I'll tell you something else, too. This is some serious crap you boys stepped in."

"Oh, yeah?" Sam asked. "How's that?"

"Normal year, I hear of, say, three demonic possessions," I told them. "Maybe four, tops."

"Yeah?" Dean asked.

"This year, I hear of 27 so far," I told them. "You get what I'm saying? More and more demons are walking among us. A lot more."

"Do you know why?" Sam asked.

"No," Dad answered. "But we know it's something big. The storm's coming, and you boys, your daddy, you are smack in the middle of it." Our dog outside started to bark. Dad walked toward the window. "Rumsfeld." Rumsfeld stopped barking, whining. "What is it?"

I looked out the window to see the chain hanging broken, Rumsfeld nowhere in sight. "Something's wrong."

A demon with short blond hair I assumed to be Meg kicked the door in, walking inside.

I slipped the holy water flask out of my pocket.

"No more crap, okay?" Meg asked. I went to splash the holy water over her face. Meg used demon magic to push me into a stack of books, making me fall to the floor. Sam and Dean stepped in front of Dad. "I want the Colt, boys. The real Colt, right now."