In My Time of Dying

And just to prove my suspicions...

Sam called to tell me and my dad that the demon that killed their mother and Sam's girlfriend Jessica had been inside John when they had found him. They had split before the exorcism. That's why it hadn't worked on John, but the demon had tried to kill him, but got out when Sam was trying to make himself shoot John with the Colt, the gun that could kill anything.

Only for Sam, Dean and John to get in a car accident right afterward.

Dad and I had brought the totaled Impala to the salvage yard in our back yard.

Sam came to us, the only one in good enough shape to leave the hospital, looking at the mangled car. "Oh, man. Dean is gonna be pissed."

"Look, Sam," Dad told him. "This... this just ain't worth a tow. I say we empty the trunk, sell the rest for scrap."

"No," Sam told us. "Dean would kill me if we did that. When he gets better, he's gonna want to fix this."

"There's nothing to fix," Dad told him. "The frame's a pretzel, and the engine's ruined. There's barely any parts worth salvaging."

"Listen to me, Bobby," Sam told him. "If there's only one working part, that's enough. We're not just going to give up on..."

I knew he was talking about more than just the car, nodding. "Okay. You got it. Do me a favor. Tell Dean that if he doesn't wake up, I'm gonna kick his ass."

Sam couldn't help a little laugh. "You got it. Here, uh, Dad asked for you to get this stuff for him."

Sam handed the list to me.

I looked over the list, frowning. "What's John want with this?"

"Protection from the demon," Sam told us. Dad and I exchanged a look. "What?"

"Oh, nothing," I told him. "It's just, uh..."

"Ness?" Sam asked. "What's going on?"

The things on the list that John wanted wasn't for protecting from a demon. It was to summon one.

John was trying to summon the demon for whatever known reason.

And he could have gotten himself killed.

~

Turns out, we later learned from Sam...

Dean woke up with a full recovery. No evidence of anything that had been wrong in the first place.

And John had died shortly there after.

I already knew what that looked like to me.